Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I haven't been using the GoPro as much lately but decided to go through the archives from the past few years and compile some clips. Mostly from my home water the Provo River as well as a few other nearby tailwaters. Swinging black, olive or tan streamers in the 2-3" range using short skagit/sinktip setup (no strip retrieves for the most part).

Rods used:
Decho 4119 (300 grn)
Cabelas LSI 10'6" 5wt switch (250 grn)
Cabelas CZN 10'4wt single hand (200 grn)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nice browns! Nice fish. Nicer than those typically found in the Green.

A couple of observations inviting comment:

Man, you have a lot of cloud cover in Utah! Right up there with Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Are some of these streams big ditches or canals? Otherwise, the water and substrate look fine.

I have not fished a single hander for trout in many, many years now. Started fishing stillwaters this year again after several years of absence due to declining quality on once upon a time favourite lakes and I never took the single hander out of the tube.

Managed to get my Nextcast FF 35 head wound up in the electric motor. Won't happen again, I promise. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ENSO! I should mention there is some Wyoming and Idaho in there too.

There are definitely reconstructed stretches on many tailwaters for dams, bridges, irrigation, flow control etc. The Middle Provo actually was completely reconstructed a while back, but in that case it was to restore it back to more of a natural winding river instead of the irrigation ditch it had become.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice video compilation and a nice collection of browns and rainbows. Your rivers look a lot like the ones I haunt here in CO, though you seem to have better flows than we do (especially this year). You mentioned that you were using 2 and 3" streamers. Any particular colors/patterns that worked best for you? I've only been using a Spey rod since this spring but so far the best colors/patterns for me seem to be black trout intruders, black modified slump busters (replacing the regular hook with an intruder-style free hook), and brown/yellow/orange trout intruders.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Hot dang, that looks like fun!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aldo, fun is what its about for me. Looking to add to the fun this year with a new 10' 3wt and 175 grn opst...
Nice video compilation and a nice collection of browns and rainbows. Your rivers look a lot like the ones I haunt here in CO, though you seem to have better flows than we do (especially this year). You mentioned that you were using 2 and 3" streamers. Any particular colors/patterns that worked best for you? I've only been using a Spey rod since this spring but so far the best colors/patterns for me seem to be black trout intruders, black modified slump busters (replacing the regular hook with an intruder-style free hook), and brown/yellow/orange trout intruders.
Thanks FishDr. I also like the shank/stinger platform for down and across. Here is my go-to dummy-proof swing fly (hard to tie one that won't function well, pretty snag free, materials don't foul, hooks fish of all sizes). In the low light of early morning I usually start with the black/blue version:

hook shank: streamer hook broken at 1.25" to 1.5" (I file down the end)
stinger: Gamakatsu walleye wide gap #6 or drop shot #4
(I attach it with dacron loop tight to rear of the shank)
skirt and collar: spun black marabou feather (or schlappen hackle works)
body: black chenile
rib: blue sparkle braid
tail: piece of light tan yarn

The olive version is the same but with light olive chenille, sculpin-olive collar/skirt, and flat gold tinsel for ribbing. The tan one I like for in brighter conditions. A little more involved but based on the same idea.

These 3 have been pretty consistent for me on various rivers using a slow butt-first swing with a sinktip. I think it does depend like you mentioned on a having a good flow with some force. If the river's feeling too sluggish I would probably go more broadside and add action, using a more typical trout streamer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the detailed information on the flies - I appreciate it, and will definitely be tying a few up to see if the local trout like them as well. I'm betting that they will.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like fun but please keep em wet. 5 seconds or more out of the water and many of them will die.
Good reminder, will do better. I've never heard 5 seconds (my understanding was more around 30) but less stress the better for sure.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yea I know, I'm guilty as well from years past.
There is a web site devoted to the science of catch and release that is called keep em wet.
Here is the link. https://www.keepemwet.org/
Going to swing the upper Skagit in a couple of days for trout with my little 3 weight & five weight trout spey rods, love them!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts