Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know, I tore my right bicep in a few places (lots of fun) in early May.

That has eliminated Shad fishing, Striper fishing and early run Salmon fishing and even casting with any rod beyond the Sage 5120 and 6126.

After showing my Physical Therapist how I would cast my 5120 with the Skagit line. He said to try it for about 15 to 20 minutes with a 20 to 30 minute rest and try it again until I feel uncomfortable.

Last year I did pretty well with my 6126, a floating MS 7/8, a 15' leader. various streamer flies with standard Spey casts.

My therapist would prefer that I wait about a month before I try standard spey casting and even the 6126.

My questions are:

Has anyone used the Skagits to fish with streamers for Summer and early fall trout?

If so what tips would you recommend, leaders, tippets and type of flies.

Mos of this fishing will be done on Putah Creek which is really a fast moving and often deep small river in the summer.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
peter-s-c said:
Gramps, do you plan on doing any retrieving or just swinging?

Depends on the water size Peter, and where the fish are or might be.

I will be retrieving from 1 to 5 rod lengths of running line and maybe some of the Skagit head.

Last summer one day the fish would strike with no retrieve with just the swing, and the next day on the same fly, the same water and same spot they wouldn't strike unless I retrieved the line. :confused:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts