Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through my tubs of flies , re-organizing them and sorting them out and came across these wounded soldiers .
Though not in pristine condition ... they still have a lot of life left in them and will be subject to more swing time .
Some have a story ... some don't ... some just swung until the hackles wore out because I maintained maximum confidence in them ...

These are some of mine ....

If you look in the bottom right corner of the picture , the purple fly with the white tippet tail and shredded turkey wing ... that fly landed two steelhead this year , bounced off the sides of many rocks ... got lodged in two of them and was retrieved .... I blew an anchor and ended up on the underside of a deadfall , I thought I lost it at that point ... cast into a tree on the opposite side of the river on the Margaree , thank goodness for Maxima :D and still maintains a sharp point !!
It should go on the wall and framed "The Most Abused Fly of 2014"

Now let's see some of yours :)

Mike

·
Registered
364 Posts
This picture might just be the one I liked most in this forum all year....

I just love the way flies look after they have spent time "at work".

Thanks...

Happy New Year....

·
Ethie24
147 Posts
Sweet!!!

Mike, Those are some wicked ties!!!! If it helps I can send you a spare box and you could organize and sort a few into there!!!

Thats awesome to see your arsenal for the season was all Irons!!! Keep the pics coming dude, yours have been my favourites for the last few weeks!!!

Cheers

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,399 Posts
Mike,

As always, thanks for the inspiration. Those are great patterns and I love the story of the one pattern.

Duggan

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :)

ethie24 , this is only a few of the flies I fished this season , some were lost and some are not shown .
There are a few shanks that were fished that's for sure !! I won't go anywhere without my Cascades or Willie Gunns :smokin:

Let's see some of yours everyone :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
This Deep Green Beauty hooked 7 kelts in the spring on the Miramichi. Then it hooked the rock its mounted on, which, even though it was a tough fight, I managed to bring to the net. Figured it was time to retire it and make the two into a paperweight. It's epoxied into the exact hole it was hooked in.

Gary

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Very Cool Thread

Mike

Some flies I will for sure attempt to duplicate, except for those slip wing SOB's

Anyone near Denver want to help :(

·
Drags are for Sissys
312 Posts
Here is my most abused (and productive) fly of 2014. The steelhead runs were down in number this year and because of that this angler got bored of fishing his same old more natural coloured and proven patterns. So I tied up an aluminum tube fly with a blue body and hackle with light pink and white wing. I also managed to tease Teflon liner tubing (which sinks, as opposed to plastic liner which floats) into the aluminum tube; not that the liner material really matters much in the end.

Boy was I surprised with how productive this pattern is. The fly is pictured here as well as one of its victims. This fly has been fished deep in rocky runs, bouncing off boulders, snagged up and freed multiple times, retrieved from overhanging branches and attacked often by angry/hungry steelhead - all which explains its tattered appearance.

I've thought about cutting off the materials and re-tying it fresh; but just like a reliable old car - why get rid of it?

Attachments

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,399 Posts
Here is a sampling of some from my big fly box that have swam in the past year. The exceptions are two size 5AJ patterns that brought fish to hand this fall on the Snake.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great post and outstanding flies, Mike!! Wonderful flies by all!

Thank you all for the inspiration and encouragement that "ties" us all together on this forum!

While in this past year, I had no chance to chase any chrome, I did manage to tie up a few that I really wanted to swing. So, here are a few tied in 2014 that are destined to swim in the new year.

Happy and Healthy to All,

-Bill

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are fabulous Bill , the G.H variant is off the charts :smokin::smokin:
It saddens me to know they did not swing in front of any chrome last year .
Hoping that you get a chance early this year to give them all a swim my friend :)

Gary , that paper weight is STELLAR !!

Wayne , great tube and great report , thanks for sharing that :)
Sometimes when a fly is so beat up from the fish , we fish it better and more often . No need to recycle that productive fly , keep fishing it until there's nothing left to fish !!

Duggan , I see you have been holding out on us my friend ... there are some killer ties in your bunch there that you have not shared with the rest of us :tsk_tsk:
So now that I called you out on that , I'm expecting more fly posts from you :D
I have a package of "stuff" on it's way to you my friend , there are some flies in it too , will you do me the honor and swim them in your waters that you fish ?? Maybe those Irons pinched by this middle-aged thread puller may help you in your hunt for winter steel ....

Back Eddy , thanks for the kind words :)
If you never try to attempt a married wing fly or a quill wing for that matter , you will never know if you can tie one or not ;)

Keep the photo sharing going guys , this is turning out to be a cool thread :)

Mike

T

·
0 Posts
used flees

Lots of good flees
one could spend some time here and learn a few things. Nice flees

·
Registered
177 Posts
I thought I would post some surface/subsurface swingers.

The small caddis on left gave me a good experience during low water, hot weather on a Skeena trib last Aug.. It was gulped down as I was holiday daydreaming, the fish turned and ran, and became unbuttoned sending it past my head. During the brief connection and the bend in my rod I would have liked to have seen the guilty party, Ha!
Thanks for looking.
Bryan

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Deadly flies Bryan !!
I know you're not the only guilty party to be asleep at the wheel on the swing :hihi:
Very fortunate to not have that fly stick in your ear or something ... that always puts a damper on a fishing day :hihi:

I'll post a few more here .

While this particular flee did not receive a pull the day of the photo , it certainly has spawned some offspring that did !! I will give credit to my friend Brett who lives in Nova Scotia for this mastermind . The fly is a rendition of the Thunder & Lightning , a well known and often fished fly for both steelhead and salar . Brett was on a mission to scale down and simplify the pattern to meet the demands of the river and it's quarry . He removed the wing quills and replaced it with a simple clump of peacock swords .... brilliant !!!! Peacock is known for it's iridescent properties , a rainbow of colour all rolled up into one material . After seeing this fly I had to replicate it . It has been the model for many variations of well known patterns that I have morphed into what I call the "Poor Man" series which later on helped me develop my "Twisted" series of flies .

Here's a successful Skier

That landed this Hen

My most productive Dee , the Balmoral

After the swing

This is turning into a very cool thread !!
Lots of info exchanged here and neat to view some productive patterns that could open up some discussion on fly design :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Cool idea for a post Mike. I like the pics of your flies just before they go for a swim and the wet shots a pretty cool also. Looking back, there was a big shift towards the married wings and lots of influence from the classics in 2014 for me. Here are two from the banks of the Salmon River, NY.
PB074180.jpg PB084184.jpg
Most of the flies saw water, a few even connected with fish. These two from glacial tint. One from the Queets in March under clear clue skies took a Blood on the Waters. I thought I had a pic of that one fly. Another one from the Hoh in September that fell to the purple marabou before the sun burnt through a morning-haze. Like night and day - two classic NW patterns seemed appropriate.
P3273204.jpg P9253438.jpg P9043425.jpg
Only a handful came undone - the victims of my on-going attempt at flies without bulk. I recovered all those that I cast into the trees and exactly two where lost to rocks.

Thanks Mike, for a cool opportunity to look back and share a few memories.
Vic.

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Mike great post, nothing better than seeing wet flies. You are a true inspiration.

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Vic those are delicious flies my man :smokin:
I see the steelhead thought so as well ... right on !!
I'm lovin' this collaborative thread ... really cool to see everyone put stuff in :)

Marty my friend , I think we all have a hand in this one :)
I agree , the wet shots are the best tools we can have ... learning about material behaviour and colour contrast , very cool !!

Mike

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Fun post- I love the way the flies look after swimming.

I've had a strange year fishing wise- almost all of it compressed into two two week trips. One in AK, one on some western rivers. On my western swing, this fly brought me a few fish. Again, I'd like to thank Jin for all his inspirational tying- the style looks even better in the water than in the vise.

I did a sbs on it earlier in the summer- http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=119137 it starts about 2/3's of the way down the page.

And in case any of those custom tools catch your eye, you can check on them here- http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?p=840985

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts