Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the T200,300 and 400 lines that I use on single handers, but was wondering if anyone has used them on a spey rod. If so which one/line wt/how well did they cast?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
As a tip

Fred - I have heard of them being used as a tip to a floating spey line, some of those cut down. I personally would not want to try one full sink.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I think it would be comparable to using a Big Boy. The problem is there is little heavy floating belly section so it would be a very short belly and difficult to control. Even when throwing a Big Boy with say a Wind Cutter you would take out tip 2 but still have around 24' of floating belly behind the 24' tip. With a Teeny line I think the overall head is only around 30' so you have only 6 feet of floating belly.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
I had a 17' section of a T-300 which was my favorite winter tip for a couple of years. It was looped onto a 9-10-11 Windcutter and thrown on an old 10150-4 Sage I used to own. I lost it on a rock a few years back. To my way of thinking, this was the best use for my Teeny line as I hate casting it on a single hander.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
As I recall they are 26' long thus would be about half the length of a windcutter. Therefore it would be tough to form a proper d-loop.

I would suspect the best use would be to cut the head off and cut the head in half. Loop both all three cut edges. Then put a piece of 11 or 12 wt belly in between the two until the grains match up. That should give you a nice winter line with:

1) 13' fine taper for smaller flies and better turnover
2) 13' dredger tip

Besides the Teeny running line is nice and the middle section would allow you to adapt the system to more than one winter rod.

Nice color change at the back of the head too, and you could use the tips interchangably with other tips in your wallet.

Don't quote me on the 13', that's just half of the 26' teeny head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts