Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the winter/spring steelhead season winds down, I recall how the above rod performed. I used my CND 15 1/2 foot Salmo Salar just once. I've been thinking for several years that winter steelheading would be more fun if I gradually reduced the size of my rod. And this is my current choice. It's all that I'd hoped, and perhaps more.

Like my other MKS, it has a strong tip, the better to throw dense tips and large, weighty flies. It bends readily to halfway or more down the blank -no lack of sensory feedback here - before quickly rebounding to catapult its load to long, long distance, thanks to its high modulus construction. It's an easy, powerful tool for all-day fishing. Without exaggeration, it feels like a 13 foot-something eight weight!

It came with a pair of SPG Flywerks heads, a 651 grain, 26.4' skagit, and a 649 grain, 38.4' scandi. Meiser rates its grain window as 650 to 950 grains. The two above heads cast well, but I prefer the loads of a Rio 675 grain Skagit iFlight and a S.A. 680 grain Skagit Extreme.

Robert Ruark, author of a popular Field & Stream monthly feature and a couple of best-selling novels, wrote Use Enough Gun after struggling with a .220 Swift varmit rifle on the first of many African safaris. At a time when many steelheaders seem to hesitate to go heavier than an eight-weight, remember that a little extra power isn't going to cripple us or add to global warming.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Good Lord!

Don't you realise that by selecting a rod longer than 13 ft & heavier than a 7 wt that the planet will warm, the ice caps will melt, the sky will fall & it will bring about the apocalypse!

Think of the consequences man - & tremble before you face final judgement!

Still chuckling, Tyke.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I used to own this rod but traded it away. When I fished it I used a 720 Skagit. It was a very powerful rod.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I thought shortheads were the fifth horseman of the apocalypse :saevilw: and if I cast them, does that make me the devil's minion?:saeek:

I better do some DT penance, quick. With the biggest stick I can find at the Clave. I almost exploded one of Kerry's comp sticks several years ago trying to Underhand it, haha! Look out, the big bottom hand is coming at you...

sorry. Poor impulse control.:D

happy you found your groove stick, NookMac!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Wayne,

Egads Man! Now you're using that wee little 14'er instead of the 15'+ers I remember seeing you fishing on the Skagit. What is the world coming to? Must have gotten tired of having Popeye arms from using those telephone poles. But then again, anyone who has a Greenheart 2-hander like you can't be worried about depleting the world's oxygen supply. At least you haven't completely wimped out and have decided to stay with a respectable 14'er instead of moving to those little bitty 12 and 13 footers.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Russ,

My formerly Popeyeesque "muskles" are now hanging from my arm's undersides. I'm on schedule to be down to a twelve footer in 2025. By 2030, I'll be wading with the aid of a titanium walker.

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Russ,

My formerly Popeyeesque "muskles" are now hanging from my arm's undersides. I'm on schedule to be down to a twelve footer in 2025. By 2030, I'll be wading with the aid of a titanium walker.
Titanium will be old hat by then; "Graphene Walkers" will be the latest must-have. Sage will have a range of 19 piece, monogrammed, travel models available for slightly less than the GDP of Equador.......

Regards, Tyke.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Wayne and Tyke,

Guys thanks for giving me a good chuckle. But I'd like to see the "Back to the Future" hoover boards in use by 2030 because then we wouldn't have to worry about wading, we'd just hoover above our favorite runs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts