Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of my rods seem to balance about 3 top 4 inches above the cork handle. It is less strain on my right arm, especialy after a long day, if I hold and cast the rod where it balances. On some of my rods I have extended the handle to balance out the rod. It casts nicely from this position but If I want to extend the cast a little longer, I will cast farther If I lowerer the top hand back toward the reel. It feels like there is added leverage with the hands closer together. Jerry

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Jerry,

I move my top hand all over the place when fishing. When casting, I typically place it about where the rod would be horizontal if the butt was put in my middle and my arm extended. However, when fishing out a cast, I almost invariably move my top hand so it is either right at the top of the grip with index and perhaps middle finger off the grip and resting on the blank, or above the grip with the grip touching the heel of my hand. I do this in order to have the rod ballenced or with a bit more weight below my hand because I find this a much more comfortable way to fish a out the cast. I sounds like you are doing pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have been casting with my haqnd at the very top of the cork and my index finger on the blank alone. I initially thought all the handles on my rods were a little short or didn't balance that great. Now I realize that I just like the added feel I get with my finger wrapped around the blank.
BN

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hand Placement

Both of my hands will move when casting and while fishing. Usually like to hold the rod above the cork on the blank while fishing so I can relax. Found that I could add some distance by using the thumb index finger style of grip on the butt of the rod and moving my top hand down on the fore grip, sort of adding a couple of inches to my casting stroke.
Leroy......................

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It seems to me that the 'balance-point" of a rod/reel has little importance when you are casting it. The grains and momentum of the line make 3" or 13" from the reel seat moot. Now maybe balance is an issue for some people while they are holding the rod while the fly is on the swing - but while casting...?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
In "Fine and Far Off" Jock Scott makes a reference to Grant's adjustment of the hands from a wider spread of hands with a higher top hand grip for shorter casts to a lower top hand postion with more arm movement for longer lengths of line to increase the lever. I haven't played much with upper hand position adjustment but since this thread's come up I am curious to experiment with it.

Sitting here thinking about casting a longer length of line, I tend to go to a longer slower lift, sweep and d-loop motion with an earlier lead acceleration to time the grip of the longer line - rather than move my hand down. But there are times when I've found my hand to be more comfortable lower on the handle and it will be an interesting course of study to figure out why.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I move my hand around depending on line I am using. It usually gravitates back to the middle of the upper handle. I seem to like the feel of the handle where it starts to taper down towards the upper part of the handle.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Undoubtedly there are multitudes of good reasons as to how far apart or where one places their hands during a cast. I don't think this is the question that was asked here. Wetfly was commenting that he wasn't happy when trying to use the "balance point" of his rod as the grip point during his cast. It is my contention that the balance point of a rod/reel - while sitting in your hand has absolutely nothing of consequence to do with where your hands should or shouldn't be during a cast.

This whole balance point issue is in my opinion one of the most talked about moot points in flyfishing. It has been discussed extensively in the past and there are those who who get all anal about the size and weight of their reel in relation to their rod - that is fine - whatever turns your crank. However, I will always maintain that the only time this "balance point" can make any significant difference is while holding the rod during the swing of a cast! There has been lots of times - especially when I used to fish the 18' B&W that I wished for a 3 lb reel to help keep the rod tip up during the swing, however as soon as the cast started it did not matter! Plus, one usually adjusts his hand position, in the case of the 18'r I slid my hand up the cork and a little past it onto the blank to get comfortable during the swing.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Brian,

It is funny how pet peeves can always get a rise out of you :Eyecrazy:

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
I've been trying some variation on top hand placement to me it seems that rod recovery speed has alot to do with where the top hand gets placed for best (longest) results. in my case the faster the rod the more comfortable i feel with my hand lower on the grip. I think it is because you will get more load in the rod by the increase of torque on the shorter lever. provided the fulcrum of the rod is somewhere between the two hands.

On my slower rods they feel more comfortable with my hands a little wider, right where the wells in the handles are. I think that's because of the increased flex in the rod, the loading part of the cast does not necessarily respond well to a fast twitch kind of movement. a smoother application of power usually produces a better cast.

For me different rods require me to adjust my grip for best results.

Cheers N I

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with the points stated above. On a long day the rod does feel heavy on the swing when it is top heavy. It could be a mental thing when I focus on it. As for casting, I too feel very confortable with my top finger just over the edge of the cork. When I want a longer cast I seem to feel more load on the rod with my top hand down a few inches. When I hit it just right a good cast can be made with my top hand just about any place. Jerry

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
"seem to feel more load"

Wetfly, by placing your hands closer together, you are reducing the lever (watch Simon G's explanation on RIO's International video) and you are forced to aply more force to get the line out. There are extremes, as Peter pointed out, to what a given person is comfortable with. If your arms are short, you will not be comfortable with the same spacing that I like.

Beyond that, I believe in the KISS principle. If it works for you, don't worry about it. However, it can help to understand some of the physical principles behind the cast/motion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts