Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. with Michael & Young Fly Shop in Vancouver, British Columbia March 22nd & 23rd, 2003. 604.588.2833 for more info.

2. with Whistler Fly Fishing in Whistler, British Columbia April 5th & 6th 2003. 604.932.7221 for more info.

3. with Grindstone Angling in Waterdown, Ontario, May 17th & 18th 2003. 905.689.0880 for more info.

4. with the Kamloops Fly Shop in July 5th & 6th 2003. 250.377.8461 for more info

I'll post additional details on the speypages soon.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
an update

a few notes to add to the above:

1. we are planning to have 3 instructors at the Michael & Young school--Tyler Kushnir ("kush" here on the board) and Dave O'Brien (owner of Michael & Young) will be joining me;

2. Brian Niska (FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor and owner of Whistler Fly Fishing) will be joining me to teach at the Whistler school.

Schools are suitable for casters of all levels!

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Crossing the border...???

It's been years since I fished the Sault rapids.
Any new requirements for Yanks crossing into Canada,eh?
Passport? Prescription drugs? Cigarettes? Liquor?
This should also help those of us who come up for the 'clave on the Grand River.
TIA,

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kamloops dates

July 5th & 6th in Kamloops, British Columbia.

We will cast on the Thompson, location tba.

$150 for one day; $250 for both days (remember these are Canadian dollars for those of you who might want to come north to Kamloops Lake Country for a few days of spey casting and a few days of lake fishing--I hit the sedge hatch on a Kamloops area lake this same weekend last season!).

Maximum 10 casters.

contact the Kamloops Fly Shop at 250.377.8461 or pm me for more info

·
Registered
5 Posts
Attn Newbies - Grindstone Date

For the Newbie's that lurk/post on the board I had to put in my two bits.

I went to the Casting Clinic put on by Dana, with help from John V. at Grindstone and Rick W.

With the amount of knowledgeable people and small number of students I found the cost of the clinic to be very reasonable. I was given good tools to be able to fish with confidence using the big stick. A lot of 1 on 1 instruction was very beneficial.

My message to the Newbies....

Save up for a lesson and come with an open mind and a list of questions.

Keep those loops tight:p

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still a few spots left in Kamloops

July 5th & 6th in Kamloops, British Columbia.

We will cast on the Thompson.

$150 for one day; $250 for both days (remember these are Canadian dollars for those of you who might want to come north to Kamloops Lake Country for a few days of spey casting and a few days of lake fishing--I hit the sedge hatch on a Kamloops area lake this same weekend last season!).

Maximum 10 casters.

contact the Kamloops Fly Shop at 250.377.8461 or pm me for more info

all participants entered to win a RIO Versitip MidSpey line!

see you there!

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Kamloops Spey School was great. Good weather, great instruction, excellent lunches ( Thanks Al).

I learned a lot over the two days and my shoulder hurts after casting that CND Thompson :hehe:

I feel it was the best money I have spent on fishing in a long time

Thanks Dana and Al

Jim

·
Registered
227 Posts
Kamllops Was GREAAAAAT

Thank's to Al & Dana.
Excellent school, only attended day 2 but could well have (should have?) attended both days. Dana is an excellent instructor and impressed me with his ability to communicate the concepts behind each type of cast. Improved another 300% from my previous level of skill.
Strongly recommend attending a school with Dana, it will improve your skill level and efficiency regardless of the level you currently have.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dana, got anything coming up before the end of summer? I finally have a few extra bucks to splurge.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope

back to work end of this week, then I start thinking about steelhead. probably next spring is the earliest, unless a small group of serious arm-twisters wants to go earlier. we already have schools planned for Vancouver, Whistler, Kamloops and Ontario, with other possibilities including Whitehorse, Prince George, and Calgary.

I normally do my schools with shops, but I also teach privately with individuals or small groups. If you'd like to put something together contact me via PM and we can discuss some options.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
autumn 2003 update

teaching several private lessons over the next month, then presenting sessions on spey casting and tube flies at the Osprey Fly Fishers banquet November 1st in Vancouver.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ospreys Banquet

The Ospreys are charging $25 CDN per person for my presentation on Nov 1st, and that includes lunch, so it is a very good deal for anyone interested in coming out and talking spey (tackle, techniques, and angling approaches) and tube flies (tying demo/discussion)! Visit their website at www.ospreyflyfishers.com for further information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts