Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about changing reel seat on my 2008 Burkheimer 8134-4 from up to down-locking reel seat. The rod has relatively heavier top then for example 8139-4 or 9135-4.

However, I was wondering how much moving the reel downward abut 1 inch will reduce the weight of the reel needed for a proper balance ???

Another option is to reel in 10-15 yards of Dacron at the bottom of the spool ( for esthetic reason ) wrap evenly 1 or 1.5 mmm wide lead tape and then fill the spool with the rest of backing etc. This will increase the weight of the reel easily by 1-2 oz depending on the thickness of the tape with little loss of backing capacity.

Thanks

Z

·
Registered
503 Posts
Put the rod together tape the reel where it would go with a down locking seat. This should give you exactly the feel the down locking seat will.

Hope tis helps

Skilly

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Tape it where it would be as a downlinking seat: E Z 'nuff.

If the rod-tip wants to drag down or is forcing you to grip further back on the handle to a point where it is bothersome - then moving the reel back an inch or so - will reduce the down-force. It will balance further up along the handle. You know CFB rods have gone to standard down-locking for this reason, and up-locking only on request.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
I personally wouldn't mess with oem rod especially Burkheimer. Just twist on some T20 to your reel (preferably to bare spool before backing) and you should be set.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I would build front handle longer! Then you don't have to increase casting and fishing weight and still hold balance from warm cork during swing.

Esa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts