Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
It's apparently a single check reel that has been converted to a double check reel.

Michael

·
Registered
215 Posts
Zo2 - Marquises all have double pawl checks - it's up to you whether you engage one or both.

On this one the drag adjustment knob seems to have been moved to one side - they are usually positioned vertically below the centre of the reel foot - you can see where the normal hole seems to have been filled, in the middle left hand picture.

On the other hand, the four rivets on the back that hold the pawls and springs seem to be symmetrically aligned with the new drag knob position, and there's no obvious sign of old rivet holes having been filled. With the drag adjuster in the normal position and the springs and pawls in their current position, presumably one pawl would have given a much stronger check than the other.

Strange.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zo2 - thanks for the sleuthing. I have seen Marquis reels in the larger sizes that have only one pawl, but didn't put it together....

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
loco_alto said:
Zo2 - thanks for the sleuthing. I have seen Marquis reels in the larger sizes that have only one pawl, but didn't put it together....

Gardener, loco alto:

It is absolutely a conversion. Got a bit of an education 2 weeks ago when I received a single check model that I recently bought from a UK Ebayer. Had I known that it was such, I most definitely would not have been bidding on it. Caveat emptor.

Michael

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always ask about this because I fish with both pawls engaged. If I ask and they don't reply, then I assume that it means single pawl. There were several sold recently with frontal photos only and a seller who wouldn't reply to questions. Sorry to hear you got burned.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Zo2 said:
It is absolutely a conversion. Got a bit of an education 2 weeks ago when I received a single check model that I recently bought from a UK Ebayer. Had I known that it was such, I most definitely would not have been bidding on it. Caveat emptor.

Michael
Michael,
Bill Archuleta can easily convert to two pawls. He did that for my early SA System 10, which used the delrin spring drag. PM me if you need email and phone number for him.
Bill

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I always email and ask for a picture of the face. You can tell by the amount of rivets. If they don't send a picture I pass on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
After having a good look at at a couple of my marquis and also at a friends single check I think you are pretty safe. It appears to me that all that has happened is that during the original manufacture someone drilled the hole for the check adjustment in the wrong location and rather than throw out the reel they just corrected by plugging the hole and either kept for themself or a friend. This is not a reworked single check as is demonstrated by the location of the rivets. It would appear that all you need to do is get another pawl from Hardy and you are off to the races. Just my honest opinion.

Ramsay

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oops! :roll: My apologies to Michael. After having another good look I would have to agree with him. It is a reworked single check. It was the spool that threw me off. The original single checks had a plastic Hardy castle emblem on the spool release mechanism so the spool is prob. from an original double check salmon 2. In any case it would still appear that all you need is another pawl as it looks like a pretty professional conversion.
Sorry, Ramsay

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
"The original single checks had a plastic Hardy castle emblem on the spool release mechanism so the spool is prob. from an original double check salmon 2. "

Ramsay,

No problem. Thanks for the info about the significance of the plastic Hardy castle emblem on the spool release mechanism. I was not aware of that. I've seen a few of those for sale but didn't know what the differences were between them and the older models.

The spool that came with my single check is the old original style commonly associated with the Marquis so at least I got that going for me.

Michael

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Steve
The previous owner has merely removed/lost/never put in the black triangular thingy that attaches under the bare aluminium button.The reel is also set up for left hand wind .If you reel in with rt. hand just move the triangle and put it on the right side. If you wish to "convert" your reel to double click just buy either the triangle or a kit from Bill Archuleta,Highfields in BC or direct from Hardy. They are not hard to remove or put in just push back the leave spring . Be warned if you remove the hoseshoe shaped tensioner as it's VERY tricky to put back in px.
BTW Highfield's could possibly show some light on this conversion.

Ramsey
Some Marquis single sheck models WERE sold in the very early 70's without the cheap plastic cover on the spool mechanims.
Cheers

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
very informative

I'm enjoying this discussion. I have been interested in the big old Hardy's for some time but know nothing about them, so I shy away from them for fear of ending up with junk. Is there any collectors literature that can school a novice on the nuances of these old reels?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Whilst browsing EBay as you do I see you lot have all been there before.
Just read the questions and answers this poor seller has been fielding.

: Hello, Can you tell me what it would cost for insured shipping to California? Thank you. answered on: 09-Dec-04
A: Shipping to the U.S.A. is 12.50 GBP. Insurance is one pound extra i.e. 13.50 GBP total.

Q: What type of check spring has this reel - is it a circular plastic sping or a double ratched and two metal springs? answered on: 08-Dec-04
A: Pics at w ww.imat.co.uk/reell I've had a couple of questions about this so have posted more pics at the above URL. But yes two metal springs;...more

Q: Hello - does this reel have two pawls or one? The way to tell is to open the reel, and see if it has one or two small triangular metal pieces with a slot. A...more answered on: 08-Dec-04
A: Looking at the inside 2 pawls. If anyone needs a photo of the inside let me know.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian

The reel in the right photo posted above is a Single Pawl model. I only fish with Double Pawl models, both pawls oriented and engaged to provide drag.

My original post was about the unusual reel on eBay. Its not a question as to whether it can hold two pawls. Its a question about how the drag mechanism got mounted off kilter, with a filled circular hole to boot.

I hadn't realized originally that the eBay reel was a retrofitted single pawl model. This level of retrofitting requires more than buying another triangular slotted thingy (the pawl). It requires someone riveting on new posts to hold both the leaf spring and the second pawl.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
" The original single checks had a plastic Hardy castle emblem on the spool release mechanism so the spool is prob. from an original double check salmon 2."

That is true however, I had a Hardy Salmon 1 with aluminum cap on the spool release and silver spool,,,,this reel had a single check with circular plastic ring. I bought it new and that was the configuration direct from Hardy.

Some of the early Marquis had black plastic release caps on the spool,,,,,,I also had several Hardy manuf. Scientific Anglers System reels which predated the Marquis,,,,,some had single checks and some the later double checks.

Interesting and confusing combinations of parts were used in the manuf. of these reels.

Regards,
Fred Krow

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
Marquis Salmon #2

Can somebody please tell me if there are any significant differences other than color between the silver and grey spools on these reels? Also, which one came first?

Michael

·
Registered
926 Posts
There's no difference between the light gray and dark gray spools, as long as the rims are polished. At the end, Hardy made the spools completely dark (seemed like a powder finish)— no polished rim. I almost burned my hand up on a bonefishing trip (I had left the other spools back at the hotel that day). When I got home I chucked the spool up in a drill press and polished the finish off of the rim.

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
wrke said:
There's no difference between the light gray and dark gray spools, as long as the rims are polished. At the end, Hardy made the spools completely dark (seemed like a powder finish)— no polished rim. I almost burned my hand up on a bonefishing trip (I had left the other spools back at the hotel that day). When I got home I chucked the spool up in a drill press and polished the finish off of the rim.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it. As I'm probably going to be needing a spool or two, I'll watch out for that. Have you any opinion on the build quality towards the end?

Michael

1 - 20 of 22 Posts