Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I'd add this to all the other info that we have here on this subject on the clave. I was testing out a prototype rod last week and two of the sections got stuck together. In fact they stuck so well that when I tried to part them the spigot ferrule actually came free and remained stuck inside the female section! A little slow cure epoxy fixed that, but once the glue was cured I still couldn't part the sections. Anyways, I got out a zip lock baggie and loaded it with ice, wrapped that around the rod joint and let it sit for 10 minutes, then put on the rubber gloves and the sections came apart quite nicely!

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Made a goof while cleaning/polishing my 13'8 FlyLogic this summer. BEWARE of getting ArmorAll on the male ferrule:tsk_tsk:
I used the rod for a speycasting clinic back in August & hadn't been able to separate the top sections. Tried ice, tried boiling water, tried neoprene "grippers"...nothing worked until last night when a buddy & I did the 4hands action twisting & pulling.
The ferrules are now parafined, & I'll tape them Wednesday when the rod is actually used for fishing.
FWIW,

·
Registered
51 Posts
So you FINALLY got it unstuck!!!

Well at least you didn't follow my advice and break out the ban saw!!! :eyecrazy:

See you on the water.

Barry

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Yikes! You guys are scaring me, I need to go clean and wax my ferrules for sure.

The worst I ever got a ferrule stuck was back in western WA when I hit a big bright chinook on a little orange estaz spider in tidewater on the Duwamish before work. Not only did this fish make me late by itself but then I could not get the 8wt single-hander apart to fit into the compact car I drove back then. I had to give up, hang it out the partially open window to get to the meeting and take care of it after work. I assume it was the long period of heavy stress that did it.

Wish I knew about the ice trick Dana - I used a pair of dishwashing gloves and the amount of contortion it went through to come apart I am sure the internal composition has never been quite the same :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts