Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very bad tennis or "casting" elbow from over doing it with one hand rods. I am considering a two hand rod to try and help reduce the stress on my arm. I am wondering if anyone could recommend the type (action) of rod that would be best. Underhand casting is supposed to be the most efficient but traditional spey sounds more relaxed. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Steve

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Steve,

have a look at my segment in the new RIO video on Underhand casting where I deal with this issue specifically. The "problem" with traditional spey styles for someone suffering from caster's elbow is that when you extend your arm during the casting stroke your elbow will continue to hurt. The underhand style limits or (for me) eliminates the pain. You can use the underhand style with various line lengths--don't get caught up in the "long belly lines means traditional speycasting techniques" mindset! It is inaccurate and based on outdated thinking about two-handed rods.

Regarding a rod purchase, consider which action you prefer in a single hand rod and then try out some two handers with similar actions. I've found that approach to be the best for someone new to the two handers. Start with a short belly line like a WIndcutter, SA Short Head or Airflo Delta--or one of the Skagit style lines like the RIO Skagit heads.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Talk to Dana, I think he had the same problem you have.
Loop Grey 13' #9 is a very nice rod for underhand cast. It is not stiff like Green and you can feel the rod better.
If this is to much for your fishing, Bob Meiser has MKS Upstream 12'6" 6/7 or 7/8 , which were ,I believe designed for underhand cast.

Salmon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Video

Thank you both for the input. Dana, where do I find the RIO video? Thank you.
Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts