Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an extension to the previously shown U tubes, I have added some un-weighted intruder-style variations, varying the 2 'posts' between dubbing balls and hackles, and altering the final collar colours, and some with just a hint of angel hair flash.

These are again on tubes, and would be suited to connect the hook either by junction tubing, or bead & loop.

Hope you like ;)

Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
Those are Killer Mike! are you tying the fox in with a dubbing loop and spining around the tube ? nice tying .

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sbs

Un-‘truder:

Recipe:

Tube: plastic 2.5mm od, ~50mm long
Thread: 14/0 GG sheer
Rear post: dyed natural fur dubbing ball (alternative = wrapped & swept cock hackle)
Rear ‘wing’: sunburst dyed arctic marble fox tied in the round
Body: pearl straggle fritz
Rib: medium French oval gold tinsel twist
Front post: as per rear post
Front ‘wing’: fiery orange dyed raccoon dog tail fur, tied in the round
Accents: Amherst pheasant centre tail: tied in 4 bunches equally around the tube (quartered), each bunch consisting of 2 fibres each of natural, dyed hot orange, & dyed blue; you may wish to add a strand or two of pearl angel hair with each of the quarters of Amherst
Front collar: kingfisher blue dyed saddle hackle, swept
Head: fluo red thread or floss
Varnish: clear

Steps:

Tube in the tube vice, thread started, and first bunch of dyed natural fur dubbing spun onto the thread

Start wrapping the dubbing ball as the rear post

Rear post completed

Select a small bunch of unburst yellow dyed marble fox, remove the underfur, and tie ‘in the round’

Wrap the tying thread over the fox along the body, trim XS fox, and tie in a length of oval gold tinsel

Tie in a length of pearl straggle fritz

Wrap the straggle fritz as the body

Wrap the tinsel in open even turns over the straggle fritz, ensuring to pick out the mylar fibres as you go – I could have used more wraps of tinsel; spin some more dyed natural dubbing onto the thread for the front post

Completion of the front dubbing ball post

Tbc…..

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part II:

Wrap some fiery orange dyed raccoon dog tail fur in the round immediately in front of the front post for the front ‘wing’

Tie in the bunches of Amherst pheasant fibres in four loose bunches quartered around the tube, each bunch consisting of 2 fibres each of undyed, hot orange, and blue; you could add a couple of strands of angel hair with each bunch for flash if you wish

Tie in a kingfisher blue saddle hackle

Wrap then sweep the hackle as the final collar

Complete the head with fluo red thread or floss

Varnish the head with clear

Completed tube fly off the vice, and held on a cocktail stick

The fly as it may look as ‘swept’ in the water

;)

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad you posted a SBS on this one. I was totally off on the scale until I saw the pic w your fingers. Are they in the 2 inch range?
?2 inch range? - Fingers or ties?

Thumb width about 1" - isn't everybody's?? :D

To be serious - the fly length head wraps to tips of Amherst = 3.5"

What I have found to be most interesting is the similarity between the dyed raccoon dog tail fibres & polar bear - just wonderful to work with & will be using this much more ;)

Many thanks for all the very positive comments, guys!

Have a good one ;)

Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great Flies!! I was planning on tying some like that soon, That just bumped mine up the list of flies to tie.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Those are great. Thanks for the SBS! That really helps me grasp how they are tied. That sunburst yellow fox is gorgeous.

Aaron

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great colors ! and SBS .

How are you flaring the head of the tube ?
by gently waving a cigarette lighter flame over the tube end, and the plastic flares & rolls as required.

;)

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
First of all amazing flies and very well tied. Would/Does the Intruder style flies work well in say orange yellow black and red colours in Irish waters? I think they are a cracking style of fly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Very Nice Flies!!

Those are my kinda flies. Great pattern and skills and I dig the color combs. That's got buggy/squidy written all over it.

Do you do versions without the fox being used as bulk in the body of the fly? Do you ever add weight?

Wonderful work, thx for sharing it with us.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First of all amazing flies and very well tied. Would/Does the Intruder style flies work well in say orange yellow black and red colours in Irish waters? I think they are a cracking style of fly.
Scaled down some, as these are overall about 3.5" long, then I'm sure they would work well in the colour scheme you require for Irish waters ;)

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts