Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this fliy setup? More hook ups? Did the tubing side down onto the hook? I haven't noticed a difference. Tube stays in place on most flies. Pita to change out the hook.

Instead of lead eyes I've been tying lead wire to the underside of the shank to provide a keel which seems to work. Having the fly ride correctly is important for getting the hook position and presentation of the fly right - tying a lot of smelt impressions for Great Lakes stlhd. The weight gets the fly to run right - not sink the fly.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I’ve been using it this season. The tubing is pretty snug, doesn’t slide or move once you have it where you want it. I do like the ability to change the orientation (hook up vs down) while fishing. Sometimes I tie a fly on a shank and notice it doesn’t ride correctly when swimming. Changing the hook has helped a little.

I have solidly hooked every fish that grabbed these bugs as well. In my opinion it’s a good system for dumbbell eyes and weighted shank work.

The only thing I will comment on, and this could be user error. I don’t see how it’s possible to swap out a hook with this. Supposedly you can push the tubing down to release the hitch but I have yet to be able to do it successfully. Small point but one to consider.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been using these for a while and spent some time talking with Jerry and Doug about them. For me it is just another way to rig a fly, I am not sure if it results in more hook-up's vs another properly rigged style (tube, old school intruder, standard shank, etc.). The main benefit for me is being able to change ride of the hook on the fly, but this can also be done with a tube. They do hold up very well, I have a few I have fished the crap out of and the feathers will fall/rip apart before the tubing comes apart. Specifically I have an ultra squid from Jerry that has been fished so much the eyes have come off and the hook is still good to go.

If you crimp the micro barb you can easily slide the junction tubing off and access the looped fireline/powerpro and change your stinger hook. As with any kind of tying style or rigging it's going to be a lot of personal preference on what you like. I think any properly rigged style of fly will catch fish.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ive tried the Ultra Rig and went back to the old school style. I do like Jerry's hooks and tubing a lot although I wish they made tubing in chartreuse.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Ive tried the Ultra Rig and went back to the old school style. I do like Jerry's hooks and tubing a lot although I wish they made tubing in chartreuse.
I got your Chartruese tubing homey!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts