Votes: 7 0.8%
  • Don't tie flies - don't have the skills/patience

Votes: 16 1.8%
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you tie your own flies, and why?

Mike

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Benevolence personified...

I tie all my own flies to fish with but derive the greatest enjoyment out of sharing the finer specimens with others. Guess I vote for none of the above in the poll.
I would have thought that you could have voted for the first choice, but clearly, the recipients of your finest flies would have needed another category---->

7. Don't tie flies, but get plenty of good ones from my mates!

:chuckle: :chuckle: :devil:

Mike

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Tie my own

I tie my own just because........

I like the anticipation of a big steelhead, salmon or trout taking something I created

Because my grandfather skunked me wicked when I was 8 years old fishing with worms and he was using flies

It just makes me feel closer to everything that's in the water

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I tie 99% of what I use and rarely will fish someone else's fly. Two exceptions to this though. The first, my good friend Jeff Johnson's Clear Blue Spey which he ties for the Clearwater. I am so taken with his pattern and how he ties it that I usually bum a few every year from him. The other exception is I keep a selection of flies others have given me on the wall above my bench. Every now and then if they are starting to get weathered, I ill throw them in the box. One beautiful pattern from a buddy on the east coast found its way into my box this fall and resulted in the fish in my avatar. Thanks J!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've tied all my own flies for so long (about 40 years now) that using one someone else tied is a long distant memory. I simply like tying flies and then get to go and hook fish on them.

I tie flies for others to usem which is also immensely satisfying, and I often will give others a fly when I meet them out on the river.

·
Registered
545 Posts
tying salmon and steelhead flies is a great part of the game. I hope everyone does it or at least tries it out. Tying is the only way to get the flies to look and fish the way you want them to.

I do like to fish special flies that buddies have given me as well.

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I simply love to tie my own flys, I couldn't buy them the way I like them.

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
I got started in all this

for the obvious reason,,,,,,saving money of course:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I too stopped fishing other peoples flies long ago,, and if i recieve one astream or through the mail,, they go into the collection and not my fly box.
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
323 Posts
I do not enjoy tying flies I tie them out of necessity, I will however accept and fish any donations.

Ian

·
Banned and proud
845 Posts
I'm with Salmon Chaser. I started tying to "save" money but its become more and more of an obsession over the years. Any I get from others go into my collectors box. I have some from Wintershope and Prairie Spey which now reside in one of my wheatleys. I try to give away "original" ties whenever I can but I always hope they'll get used rather than saved.

Jonathan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Even tho I know the best flies I come in contact with usually look better than mine, and that I'm very slow, and that by the time I buy all this "stuff" I'm not saving any money, I still prefer to tie my own for a lot of reasons some of which have already been stated. I still have the most confidence with my own flies except where I know exactly what materials went into them and where they are also drop dead gorgeous. I get a lot of satisfaction from knowing a fish thought enough of me to take my fly.:hihi: It seems I have to be constantly trying new ideas and I can't imagine some contracted professional fly tyer putting up with all the crap I subject myself to in trying new fly designs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tying is the passion and using them is the reward.
Well said Flydology

The only flies I fish besides my own are ones given to me by my friend Leroy Hyatt, his Bombers and Muddlers are simply the best!:lildevl:

I also have fun giving away a few of my signature flies every year.

Reactions: Spey daze 59

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tying Flies

For me, tying flies is a magnificent obsession. I have to laugh any time that I hear someone say, "I'm tying flies to save money". I would like to meet one person who saves money tying flies. I spend a fortune doing it. I have given away hundreds of trout flies to friends and people that looked like they needed a break on a river that I was fishing and usually provide most of the flies that are used by myself and my companions on our fishing trips.
For me, half the fun of fishing is preparation and I spend weeks tying for a big trip. I don't get to fish as often as I would like and being a landlocked Steelhead addict, it helps to get me thru the long periods between trips to persue that most wonderful of all fish.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I tie my own and love the hunt and satisfaction derived from hooking a fish on a fly of my own creation. I find it relaxing and therapeutic after a long day to sit in my basement, listen to music, tie a few, and enjoy a nice elixer. In high school and college economic consideration played a major role, however, now it is just a way to stay close to the river when business and family obligations prohibit an afternoon swing.

It is all about the hunt

Chas

·
Paid subscriber
207 Posts
tying

I have done this on a strictly small scale for a while on and off. I gave each of the guys in my wedding a specially made fly that reflected some aspect of their personality...i.e. I gave a Chicago White Sox fan a nasty looking size 2 skunk braided with black and white chenile...ha!

I find the greatest joy in using materials, like feathers and fur from animals I have taken myself too. This is really cool, when you are using mallard feathers from the previous fall to take trout in the spring/summer...kind of similar to what native Americans called "the roundness" of life.

I am certainly not a good enough tyer to share my work, although the flies do work occassionally.
MB

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keep on tying...

I have done this on a strictly small scale ....

I am certainly not a good enough tyer to share my work, although the flies do work occassionally.
MB
and keep on fishing with your own flies, and your fishing experience will feel even better...as more fish come to hand on your own creations.

M

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.