Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given some great materials dyed with picric acid for some traditional Irish patterns. What precautions do I need before tying with these great featers? Thanks in advance.....
 

·
Pullin' Thread
Joined
·
4,694 Posts
Don't lick your fingers when tying with anything dyed in Picric Acid because it it very toxic and has a high probability of doing you some harm. Other than that, use it and be happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
don´t worry

The feathers tying with picric aren`t a problem. To preven alergic reaction is convenient that you clean your hands after the use with water and soap. The problem is with the acid picric when it is in very haigh concentration or cristal. I bought it at the pharmacy. :rolleyes:
Carlos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,829 Posts
Always a good precaution

to wash your hands after handling something that could cause problems if ingested. The reason you get the color change is that the picric acid has bonded with materials in the feather or hair, so not much of it should come off after it has been dyed, washed and dried.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top