Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I still can't cast a double-hander, I now own one, and I would like to get to work on a fresh box of flies when free-time permits.

Any suggestions on the must haves for...Portland, OR area all year round...Deschutes this fall, next winter in Oregon area...N. Umpqua, Sandy, Santiam, and maybe some later summer action on the Rogue?

Thanks

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Argos,

You will get as many different answers as people who respond but for summer fish I believe you can get by with only two patterns: steelhead muddler minnows in sizes 2-6 and either a drab colored, purple or black pattern in sizes 4,6 and 8. Personally I'm partial to either small speys or Bob Arnold's Spade for the latter and either purple or natural for the muddler. If push came to shove, you could get buy fishing either one exclusively.

For winter fish you have a ton of options and it depends on how much effort you want to put into it. If you don't mind the effort, intruder style patterns, classic speys and Dees and General practitioners all work. If you are more interested in quanity then marabou spiders and string leeches will work just fine. Color selection is up to you. Some will say what ever color you want as long as its black. I fish a lot of black but also purple and red and orange and red combos. There are many other combos that work just as well.

Good luck on joining the ranls of the spey addicted.

sinktip

1 - 2 of 2 Posts