Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished the new Shewey book, which I enjoyed completely!

The problem now is which fly to tie to start with?

This book has opened a new territory for me but something that I've been wanting to do for some time now, hair wings.

Start simple or start with the favorites?

KC

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,701 Posts
Although seemingly Simplistic

Hairwings have a skill set of their own, Proportions Material manipulation, post preperation etc etc.

I would say start with simplistic favorites, I know not much guidance. some materials are more forgiving than others. also consider durability when your tying, that hair, Squirrel, Bear Fox can be mighty slippery

Just my two cents

·
Registered
895 Posts
Start simple and get the basics down. Then move on and show us some spectacular ties!!

I remembered a while back, you had mentioned you wanted to get into hairwings, that's why I sent those flies along with the lines. A bit of inspiration and some idea of proportions and such.

Pick a pleasing, simple tie and show us what you come up with. We'll help you from there.

-Bill

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill those flies you sent me were killers!

I will take the advice of the pros and start with something on the easy side and work my way through the book.

You mentioned different materials are easier? Which hairs are the easy ones?

KC

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hairs

Squirrel and buck tail are tough from my experience

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
squirrel is the WORST!! I dont even use it anymore... I just use the flies wayne ties for me with the junk! fishes great, ties terrible! fox IMO doesnt fish as nice as some others but is really easy to tie with... may be a good way to practice?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
c'mon J show the Squirrel some love

Shewey's method for small heads and a dab of crazy glue and BOB is your uncle :chuckle::chuckle:

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking the Black Max. It looks fairly straight forward but you never know. I'll try it then post the flee and guys can critique.

Thanks for the input.

KC

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
This talk of slippery materials reminded me I have a good bit of black bear (might be brownie mixed in, taxidermy scraps) if either of you guys want a couple chunks. I can't remember the last time I used it

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Thanks Buddy I am good

Take him up Border tons of haiwings for Bear

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Also undertaker

Great fly for black bear and popular out in your neck as a comeback fly

·
seaterspey
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one thing the book does not reference is the size of the flies? What is the typical size used?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts