Spey Pages banner

Tying in Afghanistan

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  quadesherwood 
#1 ·
Partridge and... dental floss?

When I packed bags for deployment, I made sure to throw in my travel regal vise and some materials for 3 or 4 patterns for when the boredom sets in and there is down time. With things slowing down all over the world due to covid, I've had some time here and there. I'm starting too look for different materials that I can use and my nice lavender dental floss caught my eye this morning. May give it another shot without any thread base so that the light purple really shows up.

Anyway, thought I'd share

Hook: Ahrex FW581 size 10
Thread: olive
Body: dental floss
Rib: black ultra wire, med
Thorax: UV red ice dub
Wing: 2 turns long partridge

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice. If you need something sent over I'm sure we can get together on that. Thanks for your service!

Dan
I appreciate it, Dan. I brought materials for my 5 favorite swing patterns and I'm filling a box with the intent to hopefully donate it for auction for a veterans charity. I haven't looked into anything yet and I'm certainly not a pro tier. It just keeps me sane.

Progress so far on the box:

#8 ·
That’s awesome! I’d say that you tie some great looking flies, and that box will no doubt make someone very happy to have it and fish those flies with a deeper connection to something special. I’m glad you’ve found something to help keep some peace of mind, and I wish you a safe return home.
Thank you!
JB

#11 ·
Oooooh! I am loving that green-tailed black bug. What is the body material there?

Sweet box. Thanks for your service.

Let us know if you find any O. Mykiss or Salmo-types in Afghanistan.
Thanks!

I believe its diamond braid in a root beer color. I threw the package away lol. The thorax is dark olive cactus chenille in front if it

#12 ·
A comment on hackles. Hackles are the earliest of described flies, predating Juliana Berners, probably by centuries. If the age of a style renders it classic, then hackles like yours are classics. I might mention that according to Bob Behnke Afghanistan has trout - high in the hills. Probably in areas controlled by the Taliban though. Anyway, I like your fly and your ingenuity. Come home safe, sir.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.