Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
skagitard with skagitude
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a desk but need some ideas. If some of you could post some pics of yours that would be sweet. In the past I have been using our coffee table and at the advice of a friend im considering building*one. What little quirks on your desks do you really like outside of the basic flat surface and a few drawers?

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
roll tops are my favorites for tying... but custom built would be cool. include a place to store spools of thread, silk and tinsels. wide short drawers for big feathers. small drawers for hooks and such. id build in cup holder type things to put tools and my whiskey glass in. build a spot for a light or 2. include some foam patches to store flies and hooks. build a small opening as a garbage shoot?

just shotgunning ideas,

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
personally I change things up quite a bit as I acquire more materials and my needs change about every 6 months so I dont like things to be permanent. I just have a standard desk I found at a thrift store will a completely flat top and a few drawers, I then put stuff on the desk that is currently working... This photo doesnt show the top of the desk very well but gives an idea of my setup.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
3,734 Posts
Roll Tops x 100

Keeps wifey a little less uptight- can usually pick one up on craigslist pretty cheap

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'd have to also suggest a roll top. Mines only about half the size of Back Eddy's, (actually resembles Gary's desk, but in roll top form) but it is so nice to just roll it closed when you are done, and have everything waiting where you left if when you have your next tying session. This also a huge plus if you have children.

Aaron

·
Undertaker
1,357 Posts
I'd have to also suggest a roll top. Mines only about half the size of Back Eddy's, (actually resembles Gary's desk, but in roll top form) but it is so nice to just roll it closed when you are done, and have everything waiting where you left if when you have your next tying session. This also a huge plus if you have children.

Aaron
...or cats.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Hi gt05254
I have a feeling that a desk 4 or 5 times bigger would still not be neat. I had a desk about the size you have and it wasn't big enough so I moved to a 6 ft table and for some reason it still looks like your desk and my old one. I see that you have also become a COLLECTOR of goodies. Your desk with all the goodies around and on it has the classification of beautiful.
BJay

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,162 Posts
The only desk I saw that was correctly set up was Josh's.

That's a cardboard Glenfiddich tube on the back right corner, isn't it?

I thought so. Yeah, baby!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts