Spey Pages banner

Two tied for eastern Canada

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  gt05254 
#1 ·
I always wanted to fish for ocean run Atlantics. I tied flies for specific rivers I'd never seen. Well the trip never panned out but the flies did go to two of my Arthropod Bait Insect Artificial fly Fishing bait
friends who live in eastern Canada and are members of Speypages

Dave Artificial fly Insect Bait Arthropod Fishing bait

See less See more
#8 ·
The second one, "Primary Colors" was washed in the famous Ladder Pool of the Darmouth river. It fished perfectly. A well balanced fly that rode true and sank like a stone if I needed it to thanks to its tapered body and low water profile. It changed the way I tie hairwings.
It was just the ticket to entice a salmon from the depths.
Not 15 minutes earlier, my fishing partner, who was also fishing a Gotz creation landed a feisty grilse!
An early morning with no action and then 2 fish using Gotz flies! It was a special day.
I will always be grateful.

#9 ·
The second one, "Primary Colors" was washed in the famous Ladder Pool of the Darmouth river. It fished perfectly. A well balanced fly that rode true and sank like a stone if I needed it to thanks to its tapered body and low water profile. It changed the way I tie hairwings.
It was just the ticket to entice a salmon from the depths.
Not 15 minutes earlier, my fishing partner, who was also fishing a Gotz creation landed a feisty grilse!
An early morning with no action and then 2 fish using Gotz flies! It was a special day.
I will always be grateful.
Thank you for recalling your memories, John. You made my day, heck, you made my week

Dave

#15 ·
Actually all the water fished on this stretch begins just downstream from what you see in the photo. The wading is easy and there is plenty of room to play and safely land the fish.

#19 ·
Gary!
You know I will!
I missed you this past season for obvious reasons, but I did swing a Celtic Beauty in your honour not too far downstream from your place.
The fishing was tough when I was there, but I did hook and lost a couple of fresh fish on a size 8 Hairy Mairy!
Same old story... fish ran early morning and late evening. Pools and water where I was fishing were void of fish other than that.
You had to have your fly in front them when they were running. Very small windows of opportunity.
It would be great to fish together again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.