Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to post a couple of pictures of two micro-spey trout rods I recently finished. One is for a friend and the other is for me. I am taking the one with the cork insert. They are 10ft, and handle 190-230 grains. They weigh a grand total of 3.3oz. They are very light in hand. I look forward to terrorizing some smaller trout with it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hey man,
Nice job on finishing the thread wraps. I don't see that kind of attention with the thread finish application very often. What thread finish did you use? Do you use nylon or natural brushes? I wasn't able to get a really good zoom on the pics, but they look really good. Nice and clean. Not tear droppy.
The slide band reel seat is an interesting choice. Do have much experience with slides on a two hander?

Tight lines,
Keith

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the nice comments. I'll try to answer your questions.

On the threads, I used ace spar varnish over nylon. Used it for years on bamboo and single handed rod builds. I use nylon brushes. One heavy coat to soak through and force out the air, and then two to three more thin coats. I'll try to get a better picture of the wraps and post them this weekend for you.

I don't have any issues with the cap and ring type reel seats as long as the foot of the reel fits. I also like that they make the rod look a bit "cute" to quote a friend. I see a tendency to overbuild trout speys. I wouldn't use the cap and ring on a big two hander, but it's fine on these smaller trouters. I also often use them on my 6wt single hands with no issues.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
thank you

I also like the bamboo rod on classflyrod ..... it will begin interesting to know when you pick up one rod versus the other. But if I read the other thread right, the bamboo rod is for another.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Tejas,

Very, very well done. A joy to the eye and the cap and ring seats are more classy than cute.

Are you going to have Steve build some lines for the pair ?

Thanks for sharing,
sixheads

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually built a couple of heads to get an idea of what I would want to begin with. Steve is actually making a dialed in Scandi head for me today for this rod. Bud is currently using a 200 grain OPST Commando head with 6ft of T4 on his.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Guide spacings?

Hey TX
I've just received the same blank but I'm pretty sure my build won't look as nice as yours.
Can I ask what spacings you used?
Kym

·
Registered
343 Posts
Kym. One of these rods is mine. I am having a blast with it. It is a joy to cast and small bass give a good fight with it.

I was in Sydney a couple days ago. I inquired about local fly fishing opportunities at the compleat angler. Didn't really learn much. I travel there quite a bit but only stay 24 hours.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Bud
Drop me a pm next time you're in Sydney. There can be some very good saltwater fly fishing options in the heart of the city. Freshwater is further away and less predictable.
Happy to share what I know.
Kym

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kym,

Here are the measurements that I used in inches. Measurements are to the center of the guide. On these lighter trout rods I tend to like more guides up on the tip since they are lighter in the tips and this will distribute the stresses down the blank further. I also like to use 11 guides on trout speys.

29 1/2
37 1/2
45 7/8
55 1/2
65 1/4
76 3/8
88 1/4

I hope this helps.

Robert

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kym,

Good luck with your build. Send pictures. This is really a fun little rod. Bud and I both agree that about 200 grains for a scandi is really, really nice. I might could go down to 190. Look at about 150 -175 grains if overhead casting. He was out on the river casting his this afternoon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts