Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fly Fishing is hazardous to our hands. We dry them out by soaking them in water, stripping wet fly lines through our fingers and soaking them in rain or snow if we fish in bad weather.

Then, we hook our fingers, the fish fins stick us or some fish use their teeth to inflict revenge on us. Blackberry thorns rip them as we try to get through and past the blackberry bushes.

There are two very handy, useful and low cost products to help with the above problems:

1. Gloves in a Bottle is a great product to prevent water damage to our hands/fingers and allows water damaged hands to heal.

You put a small amount on your fingers/hands and rub the product into the skin of your palms, fingers and back of your hands. In less than a minute the product is rubbed in and starts to protect your hands/fingers. It is non greasy, lasts all day and protects your skin from the wet ravages. A 2 ounce bottle sells for $5. Buy a bottle and try it. If you like it you can buy an 8 ounce bottle for about $13 and refill the smaller bottle and keep it in your vehicle.

I have used the Gloves in a Bottle for 2 weeks with at least 3 fishing trips per week. The product is great, and my wife will be using it as a nurse in a busy FP office.

You may have to have your pharmacist order Gloves in a Bottle for you. It is not an Rx product.

2. NexCare is a liquid bandaid/medical super glue to use when you hook yourself, get finned, bit by a fish, split a finger nail and the other abuses your hands/fingers get fishing and just rigging up sometimes. The use of Super glue for wounds was discovered in the Viet Nam war. Since then ER Docs have used it to close minor and fairly large cuts. The only problem is that Super Glue is not a medically pure product. I got an infection one time years ago using Super Glue with a penetration wound.

The NexCare product comes in a small bottle that looks like your wife's fingernail polish. It too has an applicator. It apparently has an antiseptic in it and works great. I hooked my self last week. After I got the hook out of my finger, I let the blood flow to get anything punched through back out. Then, I cleaned off the wound and applied the NexCare. The product stings a little and in a minute is dry. I was back fishing in minutes for several hours. The wound was sealed and no germs/viruses could enter. I cleaned the finger that night and applied some more NexCare. The wound healed rapidly without some clumsy bandaid that attracts dirt, germs and other undesirables. NextCare sells for less than $5 for the little bottle. It should last a long time. NextCare is available at Walmart, Target and most chain drug store. The little bottle fits right into a small corner of my fishing gear.

2a . A similiar product to NexCare is New Skin. It comes in a bigger bottle and has an antiseptic in the mixture. Our 3 year old grandson, Bubba Bam Bam had a sore on his lower face that wouldn't heal. He would rub the bandaid off and dig at the scab. The infected area got worse. His Pediatrician recommended the New Skin. It comes in a bigger bottle and is great for home use.
In a week, with applications twice a day, our grandson's face, chin/lower jaw area cleared up. The product is very economical at $3/bottle. We keep bottles in our fist aid kits at home and in our vehicles. My wife used it when she started to get blisters on her feet on a recent vacation. The New Skin preempted the blisters, and she used it for the rest of the vacation with no problems on the sore areas. I prefer the small and lighter NextCare bottle to carry with my fishing gear. Either one is an excellent product. New Skin is available in Walmart, Target and most Drug stores.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Moose hands

I spend nearly 60 hours a week with my hands being brutalized by liquid concrete, grease and water, and banged, cut and smashed by the accopanying heavy equipment. My hands look like they just walked away from a major automobile accident:eek:

I'm going to try and find some gloves in a bottle and put it to a REAL TEST!:devil: As for the super glue, well, I've found that cement works pretty well too! Work a bit into a gash and it stops bleedin right quick. I have an endless supply of it, though it is a bit caustic:tsk_tsk:

The worst part is that that crap wont come off my hands with any kind of soap ( not all of it anyway) but always manages to rub off on my nice cork grips. Got any suggestions for cleaning soiled (dirt and grime) grips?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Moose Guy

First of all, where are the Shad? With the higher and colder water, they were scarce at Paradise yesterday and Thursday.

Now for your comments:

"I spend nearly 60 hours a week with my hands being brutalized by liquid concrete, grease and water, and banged, cut and smashed by the accopanying heavy equipment. My hands look like they just walked away from a major automobile accident

I'm going to try and find some gloves in a bottle and put it to a REAL TEST! "

This sounds like the ultimate test. You may have to reapply every few hours.

"As for the super glue, well, I've found that cement works pretty well too! Work a bit into a gash and it stops bleedin right quick. I have an endless supply of it, though it is a bit caustic."

The chemical lime is just a little caustic. Try the NexCare on some of those cuts.

"The worst part is that that crap wont come off my hands with any kind of soap ( not all of it anyway) but always manages to rub off on my nice cork grips. Got any suggestions for cleaning soiled (dirt and grime) grips?"

If you use the Gloves in a Bottle on a regular basis, you will accumulate less crap on your hands/fingers. In the meantime try some Goo Gone a couple of times during work and after work to remove the crap. It is an incredible remover of most stuff without removing your hands. Squirt some directly on the stuff and rub with an old towel with more Goo Gone. You can buy small bottles at any Ace or Walmart to try.

For the corks, buy a small bottle of bottle of Orange Glo Wood Cleaner & Polish. Spray some on an old towel and see what happens on a small area of the cork. If it cleans the cork, and the cork doesn't fall off or dissolve, let us know.

It is an incredible product for wood, vinyl, the outside of Webers and their counter tops, and outside furniture.

If that doesn't work, take your rod handles to a rod maker and have them sand the stuff off using their lathe.

G

·
Thanks for bringing this one up!

I use a glue similar to those you mentioned, Dermabond. My wife, who works in the ER, brings them home (single use applicators) on occasion and the product is a must have in any medical kit. Closing wounds, covering wounds it's the best (in emergency situations, mind you). I liken it to coating the wound in aquaseal.

Oh, and I never leave home without a Bacitracin type product (Neosporin).

This kind of stuff should have it's own topic category under Open Forum, whatever.:smokin:

mmm

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Gramps!

I think I'll let someone else "Experiment" with chemicals on their spey rods. Although I value mine more as fine tools than sparkling treasures, I won't take unnecessary chances with them that might scar them up. (At least not more than my grimey hands do!)

The shad are a bit tougher at the moment. I fished Watt ave all morning and saw nary a nibble, but did hook and land one sad little 10 inch squawfish. Friends who have been floating Sunrise to Rossmoor said it's been slow but they are seeing large schools hanging out in the deeper, slower holes. I plan on fishing Sunrise up to Sailor Bar for the next few evenings. I'll let you know how that goes. Also, word is that green caddis emergers are doing quite well for the shad. Try these in addition to your shad flies, alone or as a dropper behind the shad fly.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mean Mr Mustard re the cost of Dermabond

A single use tube of Dermabond costs costs over $25.

http://www.careexpress.com/products.asp?CATEGORY_ID=156&PARENT_ID=132&COMBINE=DB12

The NexCare and New Skin are less than $5 for multi use applications.

A big breakthrough for bandaid type products is the inclusion of silver in some form in the bandaid where it touches the wound. Silver kills bacteria and viruses on contact.

When our sons were growing up, my wife bought Silvadene, an ointment in half pound jars to treat their road rashes and other nasty learning experiences when their skin lost an encounter with the road, gravel, tree bark, concrete, bricks, redwood and many other learning objects.

G

·
Re: Mean Mr Mustard re the cost of Dermabond

Grampa Spey said:
A single use tube of Dermabond costs costs over $25.
Wow! And they throw this stuff away (or more usual, throw into a box for foreign distribution - a Catholic hospital); once the surgical packs are opened they can't be returned to stock. I also have boxes of hemostats of every kind and size, huh Poppy? Pretty wasteful and a likely contributor to the high cost of medical care in this country.

I will give the Nexcare product a look in any case.

Keep this type of heads-up going.:)

mmm

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Derma Bond is a great product, however

I can't afford the close to $30 bucks for each application. Two applications = a new spey line.

So I will stick to New Skin or NewCare. I got an email from a relative lurker who informed me that NewCare now has a non stinging spray product for larger areas and those of us who are woosies.

We have had some good discussions along health concerns before in the General Session of this forum.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
You guys don't need that stuff...

Hell, you're all walking around with good old black tape in your vest. At least the last time I saw him Triple M had his in his vest right over his heart. A few quick wraps of tape will close your wounds up pronto.:whoa:

I also have boxes of hemostats of every kind and size, huh Poppy?
Yes, they are pretty nice. I'm waiting for my medical suppy salesman to show up near the end of June.:smokin:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great stuff ,wish some of these products were easily available over here .
Until they do will have to run on electricians tape and coban which has been over here a wile .
Dont forget your tetanus booster jabs ,it can be wild out there ,even in over populated England .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts