Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring migration has picked up into full swing.

Caught a few over the weekend swinging streamers in a Cape Cod estuary. One was a half in short of a 'keepa' as they say locally.

Missed it by that much :chuckle:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome! Nice fish and great area! I've been out fishing for them for the last 4 weeks on the Cape as well...it's been pretty steady and with the rather mild weather they appear to be staying close in still.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Right-on! Good (yummy) looking Rockfish as they call them here in the tidal-zone James River.

I had been after these for a few weeks also - on their spawning-run. Many of the locals told of a slow year, but I saw plenty of hook-ups most times and managed a few keepers myself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice! I brought my single-hander on a trip to Cape Cod a few years ago but had no luck hooking any. It was mid summer so I guess it wasn't the best time for them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, Night fishing is where it's at in the dead of summer at least that's how I've done it on my end. Daytime striper fishing can be done up in Maine though right through the summer.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Nice

What's your set up?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very nice! A buddy in Atlanta has been picking them up on a two-hander in the Chattahoochie River lately. Might be time for a trip down that way.

·
Hooked4life
2,085 Posts
I've been swinging the other way lately going to a 7' 6" Loomis Short Stix and the PRO-4X 9' 9 wt. Two handers are nice but single handers still work.

The results:

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
One was a half in short of a 'keepa' as they say locally.

Is it still swimming? It looks dead.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reelstory if you are referring to my photos the fish was not legal to keep and was released unharmed. If you look close the photo on the right the fish was looking down to the right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Floated the Watauga river in E. Tennessee yesterday for stripers. We saw plenty in the 30lb+ class and a decent number that would have been pushing 40lbs. I was fishing them with a SH rod, but I think I'll bring a 7wt spey next time. With a skagit head and a heavy sink tip, I think I'll be able to get down in some of the deeper pools. I'll report back if any success is had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts