Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside the temperature is down to minus 5 deg C. The fishing season is closed and I am sittin in front of my fireplace "fiddling" with my old canes. Among them an Ol´ Hardy 12´ The Wye from the 30-ties. A nice rod but by far too old be used anymore. Not that it wont work, but I would´nt dare the risk to hurt it.
But these canes, especially 12´s and 13´are still lovely to use and handle fish on.
Has anyone any knowledge to anyone making new two hand canes with a newer design taper and perhaps a little more crisp than these ol-timers.
Especially looking for a 13´ #8/9

Would be great to hear any news on this subject.

Michael

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Bob Clay in BC builds some really sweet cane two handers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
cane speys

Ron Grantham has a web sight with photos, also from BC . I think he is the rodmaker,who has taught Bob Clay. punch up Ron Grantham cane rods on google and it should take you there. I wish I could afford one!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Bamboo Spey Rods

Michael - I am also considering a cane spey rod and MJC is right about Bob Clay making fine cane spey rods. I was up at Bob Clays house (he lives on the Kispiox) this past October and his rods are very fine fishing tools! He is a great rod builder and one of few who both makes and fishes cane spey rods. If you are interested, trust me, you need to talk to him. I think He makes both 12' 6" and 13' rods. If you want to get in touch with him I can get you in contact with him. ---Lawrence Stuemke

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the info on two hand Cane builders, I would very much appreciate any links/contact to these persons/companies.

Being a rod builder myself, I would appreciate to get a blank and fit it myself.

Has anyone any experiences in swinging such newer poles.

Michael

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cane spey

I love my Bob Clay 13' though I haven't had much opportunity to fish it.
It has ferrules and if I could afford to I'd try to get a spliced version.
Bob Clay's hollowbuilt taper is not fast like fast graphite but faster that the slowest graphite, the rod feels springy and can shoot line. It is heavy enough that you don't want to be holding the rod up high but is very comfortable to fish with with your hands at the lower position that was normal before graphite.

"Spliced" is with no metal ferrule, just a diagonal swelled area that you mate together with electrical tape. Sounds kludgy but it works really well - no possibility of twisting loose, stuck ferrules, corrosion or metal etc. I hear Bob is making them now.

If you have a very lot of money, Per Brandin makes some very nice ones, and according to Jim Adams, Per has advised Bob Clay on tapers. Last I knew Per, when he still lived in California, he was working on some quad spliced speys which he felt would not need the swelled mating section and would have more mating contact for closer to a one piece action.

In older rods, I also like the Sharpe spliced impregnated Scotties. The 12' and 11' models are very good for fishing as long as distance isn't the objective. I found the 13' model a little heavy for me, especially after obtaining the Bob Clay hollowbuilt which is a little lighter but feels a lot lighter as it has a lot less weight in the upper half. The 13' scottie has a very slow parabolic action in that you cast the rod with most of the flex in the lower third, then the rest of the rod follows through (it seems like a few seconds later) and the line seems to just go along for the ride. The 12' and 11' are enough lighter and a more normal progressive action and I use them.

There is a 13' ferruled Sharpe scottie on Ebay right now, a two tip model with one tip repaired, sitting at $25 or so with no reserve. Even with the L15 to ship to USA you might get this pretty cheap to mess around with.
(Search on keywords: sharpe salmon rod)

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Vinnie.

Many thanks you great advise, do you have any contacts for those builders you mentioned. About money, I do not have loads of it, but it would eventually be a matter of choice ! Might have to be divorced or sell the house - or even both !

I have 3-4 Sharpes myself, from 9 -10 and 11´ and semi-like these rods. They are good casting tools, but seems a little old-fashioned-clumsy (sorry).
I am looking for something lighter and "crisper" as you describe.
You cant beat that cane feeling !

Michael

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cane spey

Per Brandin has a "contact me" form on his website at
brandin-splitcane.com/contactme.html

Per's spey rods go $3 - 4K.

See Laurence above - he says he can get you in touch with Bob Clay.
Bob's rods go about $1.5K last I heard.

I think you'll find Bob's rods are plenty livelier than the Scotties.

-Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey all.

Many thanks all your great info - but perhaps I better start selling coupons with a USD 3-4 K range.

will check those sites.

Thanks
Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Chris Bogart makes a Shenandoah (?) spey which is about 12 feet and for a6 or 7 line.
But since you are in Denmark I would contact Carsten Joergensen at daniaflyrods.com - he has made some 2 handed cane rods and I'm sure he can help you squeeze the taper to make it crisp. The taper isnt Chis Bogarts, but I cant remember who originally designed it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bamboo spey rods

I'm a big fan of bamboo for trout rods, but for spey rods, the new graphite designs are so light, so responsive and so powerful, I just don't think bamboo is even in the game as far as performance is concerned. Nostalgia, history, beauty, romance - yes; performance - too slow and heavy for my tastes. Bamboo's low strength-to-weight ratio makes it not a great candidate for long rods. Some makers get around this by making fairly short rods (12-13') for heavy lines, but they are definitely a compromise.

That said, I've cast some bamboo spey rods, including Bob Clay rods and a Per Brandin rod. Two things that Per and Bob do that I think offer advantages over most others are hollowbuilding into the tip section and spliced joints. Both the reduced weight out toward the tip and the absence of metal ferrules serve to speed up the rods and make them considerably lighter and livlier than solid rods with metal ferrules. If you're considering a bamboo spey rod, I would definitely look for hollow rods (all sections, not just the butt), and the fewer and lighter the ferrules the better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.