Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, a couple of fish-less flies that were swung with great intentions and confidence ...

The Fork's Special

Tied in hand on a #2 Daiichi 2131 Ververka hook. This fly was named after the Fork's Pool on the Margaree. It has produced some violent pulls in the past, however this year the salmon were starting to pool, which means lock-jaw fever was upon them.

Neon Heron

This Glasso inspired pattern has done well for me at home and in tidal pools on the east coast. Regardless of the failure, I still have faith and confidence in this pattern. It was tied in hand on a #2 McNeese iron, barb pinched and ready to fish. The Cree wing was dyed using Neon Orange Jello Powder, hence the name :)

Mike

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, a package of Neon Orange Jello :D
Mix with 1/4 cup of hair conditioner and 2 cups boiling water to dissolve, allow to cool but still warm and place the feathers in the bath. I keep them there overnight. Dry them on paper towels and pat them to take off excess liquid. Then place in a cold bath of water and woollite (1/8 cup) for 10 seconds, then rinse under cold water. Allow to air dry, again remove any excess liquid with a paper towel. Neon Lime Jello works good if you like a "neon green".

Mike

·
Administrator
18,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice ones mike! Surprised they didn’t get any action!
This is what happens when the salmon are "pooling" and not "travelling" or "stacking" :(:(
Travelling and stacking salmon are aggressive salmon and more likely to grab a fly.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts