Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tricks out there for straightening badly kinked and twisted scandi and skagit heads besides just stretching? Found a few in bad shape and just wondering if they are a lost cause.

Thanks

·
flailing less
490 Posts
I sorta salvaged one

similar to what you describe.

Warmed it as advised by others, stretched it with the tail anchored to a tree, put the tip loop into a battery drill chuck with a cotter pin and started turning while pulling until it got better.

It never fully recovered.:crying:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I'd try coiling them slowly on a line winder, back twisting the coil out as you go. Or do the same thing on your hand, slowly and carefully twisting the line true. Then let them sit awhile, relax back to shape.

When you change heads, do you wrap around your palm or fingers? Done this way without taking the twist out sets a twist in the line every time.

·
flailing less
490 Posts
SLSS is absolutely correct

When you change heads, do you wrap around your palm or fingers? Done this way without taking the twist out sets a twist in the line every time.
For sure--instead, coil them alternating front to back, reversing the twist in each coil by rolling over or under with your thumb and index finger. Stored that way there is zero twist. Un-coil in reverse.

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
Kinked, you're probably hosed.

Twisted, let it hang down without a tip/leader for a couple minutes and it should untwist unless the core is damaged, then it's trash.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Line universally coils clockwise so when you are coiling it up for storage you need to slightly roll the line between your fingers so you are rolling the line (head) into a coil that relaxes evenly into its desired coil. If you are coiling into your left hand then spin the line away from you between your thumb and forefinger. When done properly it will seem like a nice relaxed pile of circles stacked on top of one another. When you are ready to use it just fling the head out, and give gentle tugs from one end to the other then repeat. Done. I have heads that may sit for a year but when coiled and stored properly the behave as they should when needed. Remember there is a difference between spooling and coiling.

·
Registered
465 Posts
No mention of how these heads became kinked and twisted...

In any event, those heads should be excellent for tying up vegetables and flowers in the garden, wrapping parcels, bulking up bodies of floating flies, lashing, etc.

But if they are only slightly twisted, then they could be recovered. It seems that I am frequently stumbling upon Skagit head/sink tip combinations in shallow tail-outs. In the spirit of "Think Globally, Act Locally", I try to recuperate these heads as best as possible.

Here is my advice for heads dredged up from the stream bottom that may or may not help the OP.

+ Do not stretch the full line! At least until all the twists are gone.

+ Wash and polish and during that process, gently, patiently work the twists, if any, towards both ends.

The friction of polishing the line with a clean, dry cotton cloth will generate some heat and help to remove coils.

+ Add line conditioner if warranted.

+ Weigh the head and compare to the manufacturer's listed grain weight. Lying on the bottom of a fast-moving, often silty river is a good way for a shooting head to lose weight.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,677 Posts
It seems that I am frequently stumbling upon Skagit head/sink tip combinations in shallow tail-outs. In the spirit of "Think Globally, Act Locally", I try to recuperate these heads as best as possible.
I wish you would come up here and find the A/F 570 skagit head I lost with about 20ft of rio running line this past fall in the 'geen.

Dan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Dan,

If I recall, the cobble is clean. You should wait until the water clears and drops a little in late May, early June and then snorkel the run. A neoprene vest might help. If you don't have neoprene, wear fleece or wool.

Unless the ice sliced and diced the line, it should be in good shape. Bring a large bucket for the rest of the lures and other gear you will likely pick up off the bottom. :)

-Erik

Reactions: fishhouse
1 - 10 of 10 Posts