Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this from Amazon, its called the Orimupasu string 2. Very easy to use. Not very expensive at all. here is the fruits of its labor. The "gut" in the picture is 3 strands of 15# p-line, i can only imagine what the strength would be in loop loop connections. The last picture is what it looks like tied in on a fine wire 3/0 francis Limerick bend. Very nice strength to diameter ration and it damn near matches the diameter of the shank of the hook. Going to try and twist up from Masons Hard Leader material next to see how it looks, trying to achieve that smokey look of real gut WITHOUT having to sand the fluro/mono

Attachments

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Now that IS a 'cool tool.'

Never heard of such a thing but beats the heck out of building a board for the same function.

"Going to try and twist up from Masons Hard Leader material next to see how it looks, trying to achieve that smokey look of real gut WITHOUT having to sand the fluro/mono." Great leader material for building your own leaders, but (here anyway) impossible to find.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The salt water fly fishing scene is huge here. Readily available.!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Looks great Matt.

·
fly fisher 'til it's over
1,160 Posts
Although I'm not into gut eyes, that same sort of tool is what we used to twist horsehair ropes (macates) when I was still buckarooing.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, These have been around for 100+ years. But, not this cheap. The brass ones can set you back well over a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very cool. I saw an antique one in a Radencich book, but had no idea they were available from a contemporary source. Have you tried it with gut? Thanks for posting!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very cool. I saw an antique one in a Radencich book, but had no idea they were available from a contemporary source. Have you tried it with gut? Thanks for posting!
Although its the Japanese stuff it it did not act like it at all, it was just like the real deal. Needed a decent soak to twist well.
I did this three strand 10' feet long with no problems at all
As you can see it came out beautiful. Funny I had a friend buy from Oregon to him in Austria, send to me for twisting, and I shipped back. Hahaha

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
What I've been using so far is my dubbing spinner to twist 10lb Fireline Crystal into 2 strand loop.

Im thining if I should try making 3 ply twist out of 6lb Fireline now that I know about this gadget :)

P. S. Im really liking that clear braid for this... its braid and its DURABLE!

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Fireline Crystal is close being to clear but turns white when twisted. I dont mind white at all actually. Another advantage of it is that it keeps the twist when furled. I use that stuff to make furled leaders too! Zero twisting when breaking of my tippet compared to mono/thread leaders... thats another toppic though... But I think you should try it if durability and ease of use is more important than staying purist and using silk. 10lb if 2 ply, in your case 5-7lb (3 strand twist)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts