Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After receiving several requests on how I am using this gut twister I decided to do this SBS, its pretty specific to this machine i suppose. But, I believe its done that same in with other manual or mechanical means. Honestly I really dont know what Im making here but it looks good and is strong as all holy hell.

Cut 3 strands of mono/fluro approx 16 inches in length

Make Perfection loops on the end of each strand

Im using a rotodub tool to hang evenly and tighten the loops all together to ensure even lengths, keep the loops on the tool

you might end up with uneven ends on the other end, trim them

Keeping all the strands even by hanging with some weight

Make a perfection loop with all three strands together. A little tricky

Place the 3 strand perfection loop end on hook board

Separate the strands

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

Attach to twister with slide button DOWN, this will only allow the hooks to turn when cranking.

Turn the crank until you can clearly see twisting in the individual strands, also a little tricky to gauge. you can kindove see it here

slide the button UP and begin to spin, this will cause the hooks to stay and the entire diameter of the twister to rotate.

I like to take the rotation up to approx 1.5 inches from the hooks.

Remove the three individual perfection loops from the machine and DO NOT LET GO

Make a simple knot in the twisted area

This part is critical, gauge the length of twisted material you need for your hook, make another know just outside that estimated length needed and MAKE SURE YOU LASH DOWN 95% OF THE GUT before nipping INSIDE the knots. This is to preserve the twist on the hook and twist on the remainder of the twisted mono/fluro.

There truly is no trick to keeping it from unwinding just do not ever work outside two knots, simple and logical

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks!

I think I'll use a surgeon's knot instead of a perfection loop, especially for looping all three together.

Great SBS!!!

Mark

·
Swarner's Flies
1,400 Posts
Have you tried dipping the finished "gut" into boiling water to "fuse" the strands together? Not sure if it works...basically thinking out loud.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Right-on Matt. Easy-peasy.

Wondering: If you where to crank equal number of turns with button down as with the button up - would your "rope" stay without unfurling?

That's essentially what I do using a Dremel with a similar hook inserted for a set amount of time for each strand. Beauty in your twister is that you can handle all three strands at once where I have to do one at a time first, then all three or four gathered together. No boiling required.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for sharing this device and for taking the time to post photos of it's use. I'm too lazy to make my own so this will come in handy!

Tight Lines,
Donovan

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Wondering: If you where to crank equal number of turns with button down as with the button up - would your "rope" stay without unfurling?

That's essentially what I do using a Dremel with a similar hook inserted for a set amount of time for each strand. Beauty in your twister is that you can handle all three strands at once where I have to do one at a time first, then all three or four gathered together. No boiling required.
I'm not quite sure. Sounds legit bud!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know exactly what you mean, I would loose track of the turns in a hurry lol! :Eyecrazy:

Wait is that mono?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

I would love to eliminate the boiling step. If you felt so inclined, I'd love to see an SBS. Your sub looks great.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks cool i may have to get one. I have another method which does the same thing using 4 clamps. A few ways of getting to the same result without the machine, but they can be tricky.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts