Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tweed Game Fair 15 ft rod Spey casting competition was won by Gordon Armstrong of Scotland with a 55yds cast. This was casting from a wading position in the Tweed, up to thighs in running water.
Second was Knut Syrstad of Norway
Third was Michael Bloomberg of Norway
James Chalmers, Andrew Toft and Grant Mackenzie were the other qualifiers I believe - not 100 percent sure about Grant.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
15 foot rod and 55 yards from a water position! Wow, that's some cast!!

Forgot to ask: anyone form our side of the Pond in the compitition?
Fred

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi corin

The rod I was using in the comp was a 15ft 11# carron rod with the standard 95ft head long belly line.

Gordon

·
Registered
32 Posts
ta Gordon. Was the Carron line standard, or did you remove the normal running line and replace? I use the 85 a lot and she's peach but do find the running line a bit sticky sometimes.

Do Carron use UK blanks or source from overseas? I'm guessing the rod was quick and tippy.

Will you be heading to Spey O Rama again this year? Was hoping to make it myself but am stuck in Aus.

Am struggling to get much past the high 40's with a 15ft rod and the 85, how do you get the line speed?

Hope you've had a good Spring run. My old man's been winding me up non stop because I've missed one of the best starts in recent years on the Tay and Tummel.

cheers

C

·
Registered
150 Posts
Corin

I found that by using mono running line instead of the standard running line gave me an extra yard or two due to there being less resistance with it against the flow.

Carron get their own blanks made for them here in the UK. the action of the comp rods is progressive through action which suits my style to a tee.

Would love to go to the spey orama next year, but I will have to speak very nicely to my boss for the time off!

I manage the extra line speed through the quick/flat back cast which compresses the d or v loop on ancor. I also manage to include a drifting motion on the way back which allows me to get extra hight on delivery. This is better known as the "Ness Style".

The spring run has been second to none since I have taken up fishing, it's great to see them making such a come back.

Gordon

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cheers Gordon. Will most likely replace the running line with mono and see how it goes.

Good to hear you guys are having a good season up there too. All seems good on the East.

Best of luck in the Game fair. Any news on the Irish comp and the reputed millions on offer this year?

I wonder if Scott will cast this year?

Anyway cheers for the info.

Corin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts