Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 7/8 XLT and an 8/9. The 7/8 seems to turn over nicely with the rods that I have used it on, but I am having difficulty with the 8/9 XLT. What is the remedy?
Thanks

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
a couple of thoughts

you can knock a few feet off the front of the line, Ted, but I think if you focus on getting a good load into the rod by throwing a nice, lively D Loop and then coming forward with smooth acceleration and a good, positive *stop* at the end of your casting stroke the XLT should turn over nicely for you. Often with long belly or extended belly lines like the XLT the temptation is to really throw yourself into the cast and this can actually lead to a loss of efficiency and power. That good hard stop will make a world of difference. Shorten up, stop the rod "hard and high", get it rolling over nicely for you, then keep your technique solid and slowly add a few feet of line to the cast until you have it nailed.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
From a average caster who loves his xlt's ..

Dana's nailed 'it' to the wall.

Out this evening (on Sheba's beach) with my Burkie 7-8-9 and a heavy fly (line, like a couple of others had not been snipped back a couple of feet). Take your time, and watch your line to assure the 'D" (far better if it's a "V" loop) has picked up your line out of the water before your forward cast. Yes, it seems like this is taking forever to pop your next cast.

Short stop, with tip high, will zoom these lines out. Chucking an Otis bug 'brick' this evening and whacking out 100 +/- casts like I knew what I was doing.

Didn't get a single hit ... so fish didn't agree.

Sigh .... but the good news is "they" actually have started to cut the water flow in the Rogue. Another week and change and YOUR MINE!!! (God I hope so, haven't hooked a fish in three weeks .. maybe a tad longer.)

:devil:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I wouldn't cut the xlt.. Mine turns over like a rocket even with heavy flies.. Only thing I couls add is that quite often shortening yo the tippet will help a great deal with the fly turning over. That's the first place I look for turnover problems..

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Dana - thanks for the reminder for the high/hard stop. That does seem to help. Though I am still a little puzzled why it wasn't a problem with the 7/8 too?

Rob - It isn't the leaders as they do fine with other lines like the midspey, and this particular leader did fine with the 7/8 XLT.

Fred - sorry to hear of the loss of your fishing companion. Hope you catch a few of the steelhead you have in your area. We still have most of our fish below The Dalles and it will be several weeks to get to the Clearwater and Snake. Meanwhile, I can practice with a long line. There are a number of spots that I should be able to get to now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Ted,

One of the problems I have had with the XLT's and turnover is that the line might be too heavy for the rod. Try the 7/8 on the same rods as the 8/9 and give it a whirl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts