Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
noob
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i know there have been a bunch of posts on Turle Knots and a bunch of video links but I found this video today and wonder if i've been doing it wrong this whole time. this guy's knot looks bomber, and he seems pretty confident in his "double turrel" knot. it puts two wraps around the hook instead of around the line itself.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmahFkmoOUE

what do you people think about this variation? any reasons i should not use it?

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. I would say that ANY "double" looped knot is better than "single" loop. If you follow the line on a double knot through the eye, it winds two times around the shank. The friction between the line, and the shank, will produce VERY little pull on the knot, whatever knot you would use. You could almost say that the line has a full strenght. I´ll try to explain how I do my knot, whatever it may be named. Start by doing an ordinary Turle knot, make the loop fairly large. Pull down the knot to the shank, pull loop to the underside of hook. Turn the loop 180 degrees, you will now cross the line in the loop. Bring this cross up to the shank, and bring up the loop to on top of the fly, coming from the rear (obviously) Pull the standing part, and let loop slide down. You may, of course, also tuck the tag end under the loops, by poking the tag end through the eye, and holding it there while you work with the loops. As I started, now you can follow the line, see that it "strangles" the shank twice, before ending at the knot. Yours borano20

·
Registered
547 Posts
yeah i agree the double loop looks and feels really strong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0XEl25T9oU

if you compare it to this knot, which one would you say is stronger or even more appropriately named a 'double turle knot'?
This is the knot I've been using for the last number of years. Never had it fail.
I make sure I pass the tag end back through the eye before tightening the loop after it's passed over the fly. I'm usually using Maxima tippet 6-10 lb. It can be tied with minimal waste of material.

The knot in your first post may be stronger but I find this Turle Knot plenty strong for my purpose, but then I rarely would be playing a fish over 20lbs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I also use the second knot with the three loops in between my index and thumb. Double turl. I had the hardest of times when I tried to tie it in my right hand. When I switched to the left it was so easy. I am right handed. This knot has almost never let me down. It will hold any fish with the proper leader.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use the second knot also, based on description from John Hazel in one of his videos.

However, the way I recall/have been using his version is to use THREE smaller loops instead of two and then pass the tag only through the smaller loops (unlike the second video that shows passing through all the loops, big and small).

I'll need to ask John next time I see him if my memory is correct on skipping the big loop and only passing through the smaller loops.

It's plenty strong using Maxima tippet.

Looks like there are lots of Turle variations out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts