Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dom
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I used so far for dee flies was goose shoulder but I find them too short and it lacks durability. I know most if not all use turkey feathers to wing dee flies. Please share your knowledge and expertise of different types of turkey feathers used. What are good sources to obtain them and what to look for in a suitable feather?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I use any and all Turkey tails for Dee wings. Go to the feathers flies and phantoms site to see photos and patterns. I have never been disappointed in the quality of Turkey from aofeathers

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Try any old turkey tail in thin slips and you'll see it is much better than goose. Turkey wing-feathers are ok also, but the straight barbs in a tail are best. Ask for, or look for the center tail-feathers if you can.

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
You have any wild turkeys around? half the turkey I use is road kill. other half comes from AO feathers. on any turkey tail only some stuff works for dee wings. Don't bother with dyed, just get one that mainly white, one thats mainly brown, and one thats mainly redish. Boom, dee wings covered.

·
Lagartun Pro Staff
428 Posts
Another option is Argus. Although not traditional, the fibbers are long, thick, very soft, and easy to work with. They move very well in the water and the mottling pattern they have looks fantastic in motion. Unless specified more than half of the Dees i send to customers come with Argus for wings. One $75-$100 pair of secondary's will last your personal tying for a long time. More than worth the coin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts