Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of folks here use the Danielsson/Loop Evotec LW reels, I was curious if anyone has put them to the test of handling small tunoids (10 lbs and under). Interested in the LW, not the HD, preferably real fishing situations, banging around in a boat, etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My LW reels has been around for some time now, banging around in rocks, trees, riverbottoms and more, they are very solide ande the best reels i ever had! it beats abel and most other usa reels....

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
For under 10 lbs the drag should be fine. On the LW you cannot tighten the drag all the way down like you can with the HD but for smaller fish it does not matter much.

The HD is cooler :razz:

-sean

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, the 9-13 has it on drag, capacity, and frame - but I wish it was closer to 9 oz for single hand 9/10 rods when blind casting is the order of the day.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
There is always the 7/10 HD but it aint a great spey reel...

Will let you know how the LW drag holds up to some RI tunoids in a couple months :)

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I don't own one, but it should be fine. Contrary to what Trey Combs says, I've never found a reason to go over 6 pounds on smaller Tuna, and while I've never been into a giant blue, numerous yellowfin up to 35 pounds have shown me that just about any real quality reel, even the much reviled Abel :saevilw: That 35 pounder was landed on a 7/8 Orvis Vortex with no trouble. Palming and clamping down are part of the game. You're talking open water fish. You don't really have to stop them from going anywhere, and if you want to, use your hands.

P.S. Trey says he wants his rod to break before his leader does... If you agree with that maybe you do want a reel that can put pressure into the teens and above :chuckle:

P.P.S. I'm not really interested in catching one over 35 pounds. Catch a few and you'll understand :rolleyes:

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well sean, all I can say is cast fast and cast far. They're really a tough proposition from the beach, even from pond outlets and jetties. Get that boat. I never got them from the beach in RI, but did well out of a boat. Tunnies also happened to be my first Lamson freespool experience!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts