Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think I may have solved my junction tubing dilema from the post I wrote below. Now I have to figure out why the plastic tube I'm using keeps breaking into two pieces? I'm using the 3/32" hard plastic tubes that you cut to length. I've been using 2" tubes for sculpins and have had each one break at some point. What would cause this to happen? One of them broke without ever catching a fish so I don't think it was leveraged like the one before that kept the hook in the junction tubing on several fish. Should I use the softer plastic tubes? Thanks for any suggestions.

Brian

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Brian...

I'm not saying this applies to you but I used to break a lot of tubes in half with my wham bam spey casting style.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Brian,

I have been using tubes exclusively for 5 or 6 years and there was a time when I experienced a bit of tube breakage. Once in a while I would get too close to a steep bank and ping the fly against a rock, but most of the breaks seemed to occur for no good reason. After a lot of experimenting with different tubing I concluded that the breakage was a function of the tube material itself.

Now both Dana and I use 3/16 brake tubing and have zero breakage. It seems the more brittle tubing was effected by the temperature and by the forces created by the speycast itself - especially when one fails to wait for the d-loop to properly form and "cracks the whip"! I found fewer breaks when it was warm out - hence the temperature theory, it seems the tubes got brittle and snapped during the cast.

Since I switched to the tough black brake line I get virtually no breakage. Even when I tick a rock I will break the hook - but not the tube. I suggest that your breaks are more a result of the tube material than anything else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why do you use "hard" plastic anyway. I have been fishing tubes for more than 20 years and almost never use anything else but tubes for Salmon and Sea Trout fishing. I use the traditional soft plastic which has never broken on me, not even if you hit a rock or whatever. You might loose a hook nasturally, but the tubes will survive to be run over by a truck!

Using soft plastic also make a lot better hold for the hooks, leaving approx. 3-5 mm bare at the butt, you gently warm the tube butt, insert your hook (whichever type) and leave it for 3-5 min. and the tube butt have stored the memory and shape. This is just enough to hold the hook in place, and it will go by the smallest touch of a fish.

These tubes comes from OD 1,5 to 4 mm in 10inch long and in a pack of 10 pieces. (if you want I´ll get you the brand - or even send you some).
Newly I have seen this tube material in several colours such as black, yellow, hot red and white.

Michael

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael,

I am relatively new to tube tying so I'm still experimenting with what works best for me. I used the hard plastic tubes because I could buy them in bulk and cut them to size. If you can tell me where you get your softer tubes or could send me some, I would love to give them a try. Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
71 Posts
BEK and Norseman

Its strange that the selection of tube material is so poor in the states. Anyway the ones I get is from a Danish distributor called "The Fly Company".
I am sure that they get them from somewhere else and I will check where or if possible to arrange distribution in the US. If not I will send some for one of you guys to distribute among yourselves.

As mentioned they come in sizes from OD 1,5 to 3,0 mm where the 2,5 and 3,0 are the most commonly used and will suit hooks up to size 10-8 or 6. The thinner tube is for "micro tubes" with tube length 1/4-1/2" and hook size 12-14.

I did mention 10 pcs of 10inch long, but it is 5 pcs 10 inch in a pack and they cost the fortune of approx USD 3,50/pack making enough for atleast 50 tube flies a pack !

"The Fly Company" actually have fly building sceance this saturday, and I will get something arranged.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jack Cook of SteelheadAnglers.com (IrishAngler.com) has the new Mikael Frodin 'Guide-Line' tubes in a variety of sizes and colors.

Also worth checking out are the 'low profile' metal tubes from HMH/KRTC. If you don't like the weight of a metal tube, HMH also offers semi-rigid plastic tubing (including their Micro Tubes) in pre-cut and cut-to-length sizes.

Igor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts