Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
using a PVC tube section with 3/16 bore, tie the pattern of choice ...

when fished, the fly decends rapidly vs "slipstream" tubes ... flow thru of water also enhances the action of the fly... use with variable density leaders 0-4ips ...

GOOD on river or lakes , if canoe-trolling with a ST- mono RL

·
Registered
6 Posts
plastic tube hint

as a tyer and fisher here in scotland your idea will bee used this summer on trhe grilse run when heavier tube are to heavy.wished id thought of it before tight lines alan

·
Registered
271 Posts
Omega, I assume that's an off the shelf spec PVC tube?? Do you just deburr the ends and then line abrasion is not a concern as well.. rookie at this and curious :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
omega45,

You're using a tube fly with a 3/16" *interior* diameter??!!

My goodness, what sized leader are you using, and what are you fishing for - "Jaws"?! *g*

Igor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...tube fly design

the idea is to give the object the maximum swim and sinkrate, without weight ...

any metal tubes are not flies but lures ... damage to fly tackle can occur as well as physical danger to anglers ... lead-core heads have been known to demast many great spey rods ...

cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
omega45,

I agree that the ideal fly should have maximum swim and sink-rate - and this is usually accomplished by the fly design and construction and using the sink-tip that conditions call for.

I do strongly disagree with your blanket statement of "any metal tubes are not flies but lures". The patterns I dress on metal tubes are most definitely flies - many just as ornate and practical as those tied on 'irons'.

And I think the odds of injuring oneself or causing significant damage to tackle (from using a metal carrier or cones) are about the same as getting hit by a bus. *g*

Just my opinion...

Igor

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have seen anglers show up in Margaree with 9/0 and 10/0 irons ...
in a wind, these are deadly ... if you hook a cape bretoner, "ya better run fast ! buddy ..."

LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
many tiers use q-tips trimmed ... most pharma-products with aerosol deliver proper diameter as well as some household cleaner containers ...
traditionally, I use "slipstream" tubes distributed by Veniard Ltd in the UK ... these have a tendancy to ride the waves - so a leader is needed to carry them downward ...

the tube fly is best technique to deliver a 3-4 in fly is water 18-24 ins deep, holding salmon or steelhead ... the single hook applied must be tested in the flow, for balance ... the problem with weighted tubes and doubles or trebles, is that the fly becomes unbalanced and loses its ability to swim ... like lure fishing with a flyline ...

cheers

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fish a big G.P. tied on a 2" lightweight brass tube for winter steelhead and find that when paired with the right hook it swims nicely without any unbalance. My technique is to use a single hook (usually a #2 or 4) with enough shank to help rudder or keel the fly. Occasionally the fly will list in a turbulant current, but mostly it swims true. Check the fly photos if you want to see a picture.
daniel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts