Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started using tubes today, well I should say I finally had some action on tubes today. I had what felt like two good solid hook ups on some palmered rabbit strip tubes today. On both the take was on the dangle, the fish turned back into the pool at a downtstream angle and threw the hook. On the first one I figured bad hook set, the second I began to suspect my technique. Using the proven towards shore and slightly up hook set that I always do (or try to). For hooks I am using Xpoint X510 #6. Am I missing something or is this just coincendence? Neither fish was what I would call very active as water temp is hovering in the low to mid 30'sF.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I dont. Set the hook that is. Usually a fish will set the hook themselves. All I do is drop my loop and put a little tension on the line as to feel the weight of the fish. At this point I am done and now playing fish and trying to land it!

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sets

Yeah, I got you on that. I make a slow lift towards shore and up. Line was tight, I was reeling in the slack line and it went limp both times. I have had it happen on occasion, but never two fish in a row. Probably just me, using the smaller hooks made me think it could be something else.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Hook?

Hi Jamey, depending on fly size, I'd guess your hook might be small. I don't think a size 6 Daiichi x510 gives you much gap with palmered rabbit, and maybe that's the problem. FWIW, Gamakatsu is making some nice "finesse rig" short shank large gap hooks, available in larger sizes just east of you on M-104.

Carl

·
Registered
869 Posts
i have had my best success with the daiichi x452 or even the 2451 same hook style in black with no x point. that x510 has a short point and distance to the bend which is exagerated with a #6 hook. that 510 was supposed to be THE tube hook but i haven't found anyone yet that uses it regularly. i typically use a #6 on our fish (up to 10 lb) and have maintained a 75% landing rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts