Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sitting here over my morning coffee I whipped up a killer looking baitfish tube. Used some grizzly kingfisher blue schlappen for hackles. I had some Gama Octopus anodized blue sitting here, so I stuck one in the junction.

Question: Will the offset bend in the Octopus model make the tube spiral in the water? I usually use the Finnesse style Gamas on my tubes with no complaints.

Next question. I have been fishing tubes lately tied on Q-tip shafts and forgoing the junction. I notice the Gama finnesse tend to ride with the hook point up when I do this, anybody else experience the same?

I won't be able to get on the water today to mess with them, and I'm dying to know.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
The offset hooks will affect the swim of the fly, at least with size 4 and above Octopus hooks they do. Whether or not it'll make the fly spin depends on current speed/strip speed. Fishing over chummed up fish with normal strip pause retrieve can actually bring hits as on each strip the fly will cant to the side, and then right itself on the pause. Kinda like an injured baitfish. If you are trolling (of course we never troll :devil: ), or tucking the rod under your arm and two handing like the devil's chasing you, you can end up with a leader twisting corkscrew of a fly.

P.S. My favorite hook for saltwater tube flies is the Owner Aki. Incredible value on a killer hook. Never had one break, even on reef fish. Works great for all short shank saltwater standard flytying too.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Ah... River fishing... Well then it becomes a matter of what kind of junction tubing you are using. The Gamakatsu SC15 is a favorite of many and is available in small sizes. I love the 8 and 6 as most of my fish run under 9 pounds, but it is extremely thin wire, which is why it is a favorite for steelhead. Great penetration. It can rotate around in your tubing unless the opening is small. Otherwise, any of the quality Egg fly hooks from owner or umpqua, or the specialized tube fly hooks from England (partridge has some)or Scandahoovia (loop has some). The Egg fly hooks like the Owner X-point are great but they have the opposite problem of the SC15. They are quite fat and may not fit well in some of your thiner junction tubing! Best bet is to carry both the SC15 and some egg fly hooks, as they are both inexpensive compared to the more boutique hooks. That's what I do for Sea Run Cutthroat and steelhead tube flies, and I know I am covered for any fly I pull out. Just get something like an altoid tin, glue in a sheet of foam from a craft or fly shop, and stick in as many hooks as your heart desires. Just make sure to take them all out and dry them if you take a dunking or you will find a tin of rust down the road. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.