Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have seen posts on which hook is the best hook to use in conjunction with tube flies. I use to use the loop double hook for most of my tubes but due to lack of availability I have been looking for a new style that is more widely available. I purchased the Daiichi brand 1640 style hook to use. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this hook. Also what are some of the your other preferences on hooks for tubes? Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here in Scandinavia a lot of different brands is available. Mostly trebles. So don't know if your question was restricted to single or doubles only. Anyway,

My favourites trebles are:
Ken Sawada
Owner

Nice and strong hooks

Also a lot others of course has their tube hooks, such as Mustad.
Partridge makes a special SALAR treble designed by Mikael Frödin which is available both in blanck gold and silver.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
Partridge makes two hooks that work well with tubes. The MM3ST is a single hook point called the Nordic Single Tube Hook appropriately enough:>) The other is the Hugh Falkus Double Outpoint Hook R3HF which is strange as it may seem a double point hook.

Regards,

J

·
0 Posts
ChromeFever,

I don't understand your comment about lack of availability of the Loop double tube hook. Any Loop dealer can get them for you and they are kept in stock by the Loop distributor so delivery should only be a metter of a few days. PM me for further help. I'm not familiar with the Daiichi 1640, but I can tell you that the Daiichi X510 is a superb single tube hook. All of the hooks the English use for tubes seem to be very hard to come by over here, and North Americans have never taken to trebles. I hope this fact never changes. When I fished in Iceland I played a game with my guide. He'd always try to get a treble on the end of my tube, and I'd always take the time to switch it to a Loop double. In my opinion, trebles are for gear fishermen and thankfully even many of them change their lure hooks to singles. Let me clairfy my position. Trebles are fine if you plan to kill the fish, which most Europeans, including the English and the Scots, still do the vast majority of the time. In North America, where killing of salmon is highly regulated and where most fishermen release their catch even if it would be legal to keep it, a single or double hook is preferred due to its comparative ease of release.

·
Registered
886 Posts
JR SPEY said:
ChromeFever,

Let me clairfy my position. Trebles are fine if you plan to kill the fish, which most Europeans, including the English and the Scots, still do the vast majority of the time. In North America, where killing of salmon is highly regulated and where most fishermen release their catch even if it would be legal to keep it, a single or double hook is preferred due to its comparative ease of release.
C&R is becoming the norm in the UK I have put back over 88% of the fish I have caught this season. 3 killed, 25 returned. All fish caught before June 1st in England MUST br released. In Scotland each river makes its own rules.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Loop

JR

The reason I stated that the Loop hooks are tough to obtain is that the two somewhat local shops to where I am no longer stock any of the loop products? I am not sure why but they have chosen not to. They will custom order rods and or reels but not there hooks? I dont know of any loop dealers anywhere near my location anymore. So I have chosen to switch to a different MFG of hooks as opposed to wasting my time trying to find a dealer and then mail order things and wait until they show up. Nothing against Loop or there products, I still love their double hooks but if I cant find them then I move to another brand/style!

·
Registered
545 Posts
It seems to me that if you pinch your barbs that single hooks work better than the doubles. Barbless doubles seem to give the fish a chance to lever themselves off useing one hook agianst the other. Doubles with barbs of course are fish landers.

I have had great success with the Daiichi X510 in a size 4. As well as the Partridge hook called a boilie in a size 4 (I can't find this one anymore). The new hook that I really like is made by Gamakatsu. Very sticky piont. It is the C14S in a size 2 (which is =to a 4 in other brands). I am probably around 90% with these hooks when fishing barbless for steelhead. I am leaving for 9 days of fishing in BC so of course I have jinxed myself with the above statement and will probably farm every fish I am lucky enough to hook.

The fish have to win a few too.

Greg

·
Registered
294 Posts
Partridge carp hooks and the HF doubles

Via Willie Gunn ,I sent some Carp hooks to Fred E some years ago ,These hooks are easily available over here ,The Hugh Falkus Outbard doubles and trebles are superb hookers but as the man told me they are in no way for catch and release ,like many other UK anglers I,m putting the fish back ,though I dont fish salmon as much as Malcom ,or catch as many .
Did a splendid long distance release this weekend just gone and was told by the beat owner of a 35lb fish caught from one of the pools I,d fished only a day before .:smokin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have used the Daiichi X510 and have found that unless a very agressive hook set is used I miss fish. My favorite tube fly hook is the TMC 105 #4. I have heard complants that this is too light a hook but have had no problems quickly landing fiesty fish. SR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts