Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are small tube flies tied on plastic tubing used in the Terrace area.?
Im travelling to the area from UK , and although the guide will be looking after fly selection, I would like to try my own tubes,
ill probably be targeting steelheads and Coho , im looking a strong single hook that would fit inside tubing, size & brand

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here are some of the single hooks I have used:
Dai Riki #155
Owner SSW Straight Eye (size 4 is the smallest size available)
Daiichi DH2571

If you are going to be fishing in the Terrace area I would suggest using some decent size hooks 4, 2, 1/0, 2/0 due to the size of the fish as well as the river current, etc. For this area I will use some of the Owner hooks as well as stinger type hooks and just have the hook trail behind the tube like an intruder. So rather than the hook being secured to the tube fly via junction tubing, the knot from the trailer loop is secured in the tube fly or junction tubing as these stinger hooks have upturned eyes. Hope this description is clear.

·
On the Columbia River,B.C
Single hand rod 63 years, Spey 12 years Fly tying 63 years
435 Posts
Mustad stainless steel hooks fit nicely into tubes. And they are straight eyes
Bjay

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
tubes

Tubes work fine. I use the tubes from Fishmadman primarily.

On hooks, be careful here. My recommendation is use Owners straight eye size 1's due to the possibility of hooking a big buck. Last year we had two occasions where we lost fish because of bending out 2's. It is hard to believe it but it happens on these incredible fish occasionally.

The guides at the lodge we go to on the Babine use only these Owner's and no other brands that I know of. I sure wouldn't use anything smaller than 1's on the Skeena system.

We all have our favorite hooks but this one is my choice.

Loren

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gamakasu Octopus Barbless octopus. Not a straight eye but a strong hook don't have to crush the barb. I find these stick better than a hook that has a crushed barb for some reason. Personal preference.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Most of the above will work and I've tried them all. There is a good selection at the local stores if you can't find them in the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts