Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone can direct me to a online source for tube tying info.I am just about to try tying some tube flies and would like some direction.
I have the vise adapter and some plastic and copper tubes ,just need a little basic instruction and I think I'm tying tubes.Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would recommend the book "Tube Flies, A Tying, Fishing & Historical Guide" by Mark Mandell & Les Johnson, 1995, Frank Amato Publications. Forward by Lefty Kreh& Charles Waterman with photographs by Jim Schollmeyer. Good history, basics and some rather unique applications for tube flies. I have been experimenting with waking versions and am fascinated with the increased hooking percentages.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Little Help

There are a variety of patterns and instructions in the tube fly section on www.irishangler.com.

Feel free to email, [email protected], with specific questions along the way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.
I had an issue of Wild salmon and steelhead,and there was a story about icelandic flies ,by Jonas Jonasson .I really liked the look of his flies ,they were called "Frances" flies ,and they really looked liked fish catchers ,so I tied up some on hooks and tubes.Gonna be heading to Mt St Helens area to try for summers ,near months end ,hope these flies will do .

·
Registered
202 Posts
North Junction said:
I would recommend the book "Tube Flies, A Tying, Fishing & Historical Guide" by Mark Mandell & Les Johnson, 1995, Frank Amato Publications.
This looks like a great book. I have it in my wishlist at amazon.com and will get it as soon as a work my way through a few other books I already have. I'd like to experiment with some other kinds of flys than the standard steelhead and salmon flies. Maybe some tube streamers, nymphs and even a bass bug or two. Or maybe even some dry flies... :Eyecrazy:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts