Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay. I'm almost ready to jump in to this fray. I have a rod choice narrowed (Loop 14' Yellow) and am trying to avoid another reel.

Herein lies my question: I have a traditional #3 I would use for this application. Does it have the capacity for a 9 or 10 wt spey line? An extra spool is much more doable than a whole new reel. Also, I would initially only purchase one line. Suggestions?

I anxiously await your words of wisdom!

-Gus

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Good choice

Good choice on the rod.
Is you reel the three wide?
If so I have used 200 yards spun gel backing an fit a whole 8/9 mis-spey on the spool.
But with the 9/10 mid -spey you may have a problem.
Remeber these lines are long and big.
The windcutter with the upgrade even takes more room.
Hope this helps.
If not Barrow one from Fred.
Speybum:hehe:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Speybum's pretty much nailed in on the head vis. a vis.

needing 'large capacity reels.' Just finished my 'testing' of two of the three GrandSpey's Simon was kind to send out (the 8/9 and 10/11 will be out into circulation starting today).

Both lines suck up a prodigous amount of reel space. As an example I spooled the 8/9 on a Mastery 1011 (and I usually don't carry a lot of backing on my reels) and the line MORE than filled the spool. The 10/11 fit on a Redington AS 12/13, but with little room to spare.
fae

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it looks like I save my pennies...

Thanks for the input!

Looks like a 3w is in order. Dang. That'll put this endeavor off 'till spring.:rolleyes: Looks like I stick with my single handers for a while more. Thanks again, gents.

-Gus

visit me at: http://home.earthlink.net/~piscator

J

·
0 Posts
Better yet, do it soon and get a Tradtional #4. That will clearly be large enough and doesn't weigh a whole lot more. But, it has been discontinued and the supplies are very low. Find a Loop dealer who can get you one soon. And get any spools you think you might want someday as they won't last forever either.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aren't they about the same price?

JR - aren't the 3w and 4 about the same MSRP? If so... wouldn't it be better to go with the one currently in production?

Anyway... Did you see the latest of FFM? I emailed Ron (and Jeff G.) to congratulate them on the 'free' cover ad!

-Gus

J

·
0 Posts
The price is very close, but there's a significant difference in capacity. Currently manufactured products are preferable if everything else is the same, but in this case it isn't. Loop will back their products even if they aren't currently manufactured. Even getting spools should be no problem for at least a year or so. I use a 3W as a 6-7-8 spey reel, but it is too small for anything else unless you use gelspun and even that is questionable with some of the new long belly lines. You still need room for gelspun. The #4 has quite a bit more capacity, that's all I'm trying to say. Haven't seen an FFM recently as I just got back from chasing permit around for two weeks. That's a lousy way to test reels!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks!

I like the idea of a traditional (duh...), and if the stock of #4's holds, that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the help JR!

-Gus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Gus,

Not sure what line you're using, but here's what I do for lack of a large enough reel: My Galvan 3.5WD won't hold a Windcutter 7/8 (The largest reel and the only spey lines I own) so I leave the interchangeable tip off the line and it just barely fits... but it fits.

Ideal? No. But I'm fishing!

Just a thought.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
A good thought!

Thomas!

I'm thinking I should bite the bullet, get the rod I want and see if my old martin 89 would hold a line, or like an okuma sierra 89. Maybe look for like a redington 13/14 or something...

Gotta step out of my "Loop Reels Only" box to afford this setup, methinks.

Either way, since I'm used to my Loops, I'm at somewhat of an advantage not looking for a reel with bulletproof drag, just palmability and the ability to hold tons of line...

-G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts