Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 set of turkey slips vertical, then BM in tent. Its a little tricky but I cheated, ill have an sbs to show the cheat very soon!

·
Administrator
18,138 Posts
That looks like a perfect fishing fly for fresh winter fish.
I totally agree with Mr. Dingles statement :)
A beauty of a fly that deserves a lot of swing time !!
I've gravitated away from the full BM wings to this style a couple seasons ago .
I find that a turkey tail main wing gives a greater profile and movement for the wintering fish .

Very nice work , glad you posted this !!

Mike

·
Registered
514 Posts
Wings...

You're on a roll here sir...looks like you reversed your slips, hence a "reversed " slip wing-typical with various mixed wing Salmon classics.
Lots of great tyes coming to us lately. You have a very consistent style all your own.
Keep going,

Tom

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The wing construction - reminiscent of a "Spey Dog"

nicely executed
Funny you should say that, I recently saw a spey dog from Francis, it was GP in place of the turkey here, I went searching for GP yesterday and none was to my liking, the Gold Riach is where I pinched the idea, but staggered the slips in almost the exact same portions as the spey dog. Very keen eye! :D

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're on a roll here sir...looks like you reversed your slips, hence a "reversed " slip wing-typical with various mixed wing Salmon classics.
Lots of great tyes coming to us lately. You have a very consistent style all your own.
Keep going,

Tom
Tom,

If referring to reversed slips you mean opposite of the largely used modern way of wing mounts, yes, completely! It seems this discussions been had probably a million times with others than myself as well. What my interpretation on the spey fly wing in its original intention listed in Browns description of the wings is as such:

“Wings are generally two double strips of brown mallard, not extending much above the length of the body, and set to permit the natural curve of the feather. The two wings are set quite apart, and are put on separately.

Now obviously there is room for change and interpretation and improvisation. When I developed my style it was to resemble as close to Munro, Francis and Malloch`s fly examples as possible. Which in my observations has been always longest fibers on the wing on the outside of the fly. If you see my signature it says "laces out, High and Tight" meaning wings longest fibers out, and set high. I am glad that you had noticed that the wings are different as compared to a vast majority of the newer styles of fly. Now please dont read into me saying Im right everyone else is wrong, Im just different, Vic and I had this discussion as well. Now all that being said, I have also seen vintage examples with the wing tied in the other way, longest fibers on the inside of the fly, so in the end who really knows. I'm having fun with all this stuff for sure.

Thanks for your comments and thanks for looking! :smokin:

Regards,

Matt

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Sa...weet! Nice tie!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts