Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my best day of casting on the Sky yesterday. Read Dana's latest article which reminded me to keep constant tension on the rod and flytyer's comments about overpowering the rod in one of his recient posts. I have been aware that I tend to overpower the rod when fishing larger water.

I could see fish moving on the far side of the river and nothing going by close in. I have gotten into the habit of firing the line rearward when "fliping the egg" during the snake roll, followed by firing the line out on the power stroke. John Reid had talked to me about this flaw the last time we met on the Snoqualmie.

Yesterday I started out with a short line and fliped the line back and forward instead of firing it. Guess what? The rod delivered the line out in the nice loops I see the good casters present. As I added line I resisted adding significant power and the line just kept shooting out. Now I felt like the good casters look - delivering long casts with seemingly little effort. When I got home I measured the line I was casting and I was getting the fly out 100' consistantly and a number of 120' casts. This is 20' to 40' further than I have been able to cast with this rod and line combination.

Now if I can just keep the faith and settle down with my right hand during river right presentations I will have made significant advancment in my development of two handed fishing.

Rich

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
constant tension

constant tension is the key. as i float past caster after caster the one thing i always see is that they lose the load just before the forward delivery. that is what causes one to then put too much into the delivery. subconciosly we sense little to no load and try to compensate with more power.when you round that last base with the load maintained you are relaxed.you feel the load and you know it will take no effort to deliver. therefore you make it nice and smoooooth and the rod makes the line fly out across the river
Beau

1 - 2 of 2 Posts