Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Hardy Bougle 4" modern version which is listed 7.9oz on Hardy website. It is pair with Gloomis 7133 rod well.

When I install on my 8wt 10' single hand rod, it feels a lot heavier than normal reel around 7.9 oz.

So I weighted it with 8wt fly line. it is around 13.0oz. So I took off fly line and backing, it drops to 10.8 oz.

My reel is actually 3oz heavier than the official specs. I was wondering if it is case or just an exception.

·
loco alto!
3,089 Posts
The published specs are wrong.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find the weight listed by the manufacturer to be wrong quite often. I ask the seller to put the reel on a postal scale before I buy the reel so I know what I am getting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still don’t get why people are hung up on reel weight. I have used a 4” Bougle on a variety of single handed rods of 9 to 10 feet for years (usua with an 8 wt line) and never had an issue with the weight even after a succession of long days on the river. I’m neither a logger nor a weightlifter, just a now retired pencil pusher.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still don’t get why people are hung up on reel weight. I have used a 4” Bougle on a variety of single handed rods of 9 to 10 feet for years (usua with an 8 wt line) and never had an issue with the weight even after a succession of long days on the river. I’m neither a logger nor a weightlifter, just a now retired pencil pusher.
The issue is the misleading of the reel specs. It made me think any 7 oz reel is too heavy for a 8wt single hand rod. and any 7 oz reel can balance a 13 - to 13'6" spey rod, which is totally wrong.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t recall the exact weight, but it was 9.6 or so on the shop scale. Not much different than a marquis salmon 2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Noticed the same on my 3 1/4. If you take the spool out (or winding plate, can’t remember) the weight is right, at least for the 3 1/4 reel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts