Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solution#1----Buy a cheapo jonboat and fish towards the shore w/your one handers

Solution#2---Solution #1 plus cut some old 8-10 weight lines into shooting heads, buy an underpriced used sage 5120-4 and have some fun.....

I picked up a used one off e-bay some time back and use it as an overhead casting rocket launcher from my boat for browns and lakers....

Someone once posted that this rod is more of an 8 weightand I would take it a step further by saying this....This rod handles a 32 foot head of T-14 on a .31 running line no problem easy to get 100 ft (and then some if I concentate)....I wouldn'yt fish for 15lb stripers with this rod but 2-7 lb stripers/trout are fun...

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
I suppose this was a response to the thread I started below. Yeah, I could toss a boat in the water, actualy this was the plan, but fishing from shore is kinda fun, and a lot less hassle for an evening of fishing. I am a lazy fisherman when it comes to taking stuff with me. I like to take am minimum of equipment, and not have to fuss around. This is because most of the time I am fishing, it is for a short 2-3 hour stay before the sun goes down after work. I keep a rod strung in the car, a box of big nasties in the hip pack and I can park and be casting in about 2 seconds. If I were going to go at this for a full day, it wouldn't be the best approach. Simplicity provides enjoyment in itself.

A trout sized spey rod will most certainly come into my stable at some point in the next year. If the 5120-4 can overhead the sort of heads you say it can, turning over the big uglies won't be a problem. I have plenty of other uses in mind for this sort of rod, but I did not consider this type of fishing to be a great use for it, though I may be wrong, especially given the above.

I thank you for your imput. As I said before, this type of fishing is pretty much new to me, and part of the fun is figuring out how best to approach it. Well that and the possibility of a 10-20 pounder:devil:

I'll keep dreaming!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts