Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a new running line for my trout stick, but with the amount of options out there, I am curious to hear what the you guys are using with these light weight heads.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm mostly using Rio slickshooter with several different Scandi heads (SGS, Airflo, Rio) and like it the best. Was not a fan of other mono or fly line type running lines with 240-280 grain scandi heads. I find the 35 lb slickshooter works very well for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Old school

I am strictly old school when it comes to running lines , having used mono for over 30 years in my single hand shooting head fishing, I saw no reason to switch now that I fish with 2 handers . On the smaller trout speys P line hydro float in the 30-50 # works really good.
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am using ELF 20# running line from SGS on both my longer rod set ups.

SGS offered me another shooting line in 15#, I told him at the time that I didn't need the extra distance.

On the short one I use a ambush with intergraded running line.

I would like to try the new lazar line.

What set up are you looking to put a new running line on?

Dan

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
. On the smaller trout speys P line hydro float in the 30-50 # works really good.
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson
+1 with P-line 50# hydrafloat! What a game changer for trout speys, incredible shooting distance. You can feel everything going on with your fly, no stretch. The price is right, 10 bucks a spool enough for a couple reels.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Light Scandi & Skagit & Running Lines

I use 225 - 350 gr. heads for all of my trout spey fishing and have used many different brands over the last 10 + years. Take a look at the new OPST Lazar lines, I just purchased the 25 & 30 lb and they handle extremely well with light Skandi & Skagit heads, I will be purchasing more of these lines I also like the .26 Rio ConnectCore quite a bit.

Lawrence S

·
pearl jammin'
382 Posts
I've been messing around with a bunch of different options and have settled on the .026 ConnectCore as well. For steelhead I mainly fish mono, but when trout fishing, especially with streamers, its nice to have something coated when stripping a streamer. Plus the low stretch is pretty sensitive. I turn it backward to bypass the handling section and like it better level. YMMV.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was running amnesia 20lb for awhile, once that got abused Ive recently started using Big Game 20lb Mono and I have been liking that connected to a skagit head/sinktip.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am running 40lb big game and thought I was going to have problems with coiling and also handling, so far so good though. I might try the rio grip shooter and see how that goes, I have a spare one I got for a good price.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am running 40lb big game and thought I was going to have problems with coiling and also handling, so far so good though. I might try the rio grip shooter and see how that goes, I have a spare one I got for a good price.
I like the big game, coiling isn't to much of an issue because of how thin it is compared to your average running line. I thought about a grip shooter but I've heard quite a few stories of the 30/35 lb breaking off at the skagit head, as the 25lb has shown no issues.

With the big game try holding the line on top via the thumb, Ed wards words of wisdom.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am strictly old school when it comes to running lines , having used mono for over 30 years in my single hand shooting head fishing, I saw no reason to switch now that I fish with 2 handers . On the smaller trout speys P line hydro float in the 30-50 # works really good.
All Good Things,
Gary Anderson
Same for me, but I occasionally use a coated line like Airflo Ridge, or ELF. The P Line is good stuff.

briansII

·
Registered
128 Posts
Airflo Miracle Braid works nice. I use it with a 225 skagit and it shoots fine. No memory and you can splice loops into the ends.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rio Gripshooter 25lb. I love the stuff. I use it on my trout spey rigs and also my steelhead rigs. It is really nice when the weather is really cold. Easier to grip for me than straight mono but still shoots just as far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
+1 with P-line 50# hydrafloat! What a game changer for trout speys, incredible shooting distance. You can feel everything going on with your fly, no stretch. The price is right, 10 bucks a spool enough for a couple reels.
What knot are you using to make loops in the P-line? I just ordered some to test it out and was concerned about slippage. Don't want to lose a head!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have been running double surgeon loop. Cinch it down tight with a pair of rubber gloves if you have some so you don't get line cuts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
P Line Hydrofloat

Just ordered some P-line hydrofloat 30lb 0.17" diameter. The stuff is incredible on my 250 skagit head. Casts over 100' are the norm. The stuff flies and it is very easy to hang on to, I didn't have any slippage problems. Very happy with this stuff for covering larger bodies of water with a smaller stick. No stretch too and very sensitive!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just built up the Anglers roost 12' 2/3 IM6. This rod is going to be sweet for trout and schoolie bass. Have you had any abrasion issues with the coating coming off? That's my only concern, but besides that, the line is really cool stuff. Knots well, is fairly stiff so no tip wrapping and it really soars with no effort by the caster

1 - 20 of 35 Posts