Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year I wade and fish the edges of Lake Michigan's drowned river mouth flats for carp and other warmwater species. I usually use a pike taper line because I use flies that range from unweighted, through bead chain, to lightly weighted. Often the sight fishing involves casts at 20-30', so the chopped front taper aids turnover if I'm fishing short. At longer distances, I cast Skagit style (snap-Ts and doubles). Leaders are standard 7.5-9', tippets of 2x-4x.

Yesterday the water near shore was too colored, so I practiced shooting line with Snap-Ts in the wind. 60-70' is no problem with the pike taper (8wt on a modified Cabelas FT 11' 6wt--bottom handle added). With the short head pike taper, Skagit style casting is great. I tried a snake once when I wasn't thinking, and got no anchor of course. Fan casting the long line did get me a fiesty carp that tried to jump (got about halfway out-never seen that before), and a largemouth of 13".

Anyone else playing with 'trout speys' in warmwater?
Carl

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
Carp fishing in flats

Hi Carl, came across this as I carp fish in flats prespawn (TC area) and was wondering who else does the same.

Although I had fished SH when the carp come in, I find some long cast are really needed when they are hanging off in the distance.

Also, I found that with weighted flies and sometimes a need to cast long distance, 2H helps keep the back loop from touching the water.

I am thinking of using my converted 11' 8 weight TFO with 10 weight outbound floater. This way I can adjust the sink rate with different weighted flies.

I am planning a tube fly that allows you to swap out different weights to vary the sink to match different depths and currents.

Any updates on your end since this original posting?

Any one else flats carp fish successfully with 2handed?

Another backup rod will be my Orvis 10'6" TLS with a lighter outbound head.

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
Safer casting heavy weighted flies

Yesterday I was testing out a very heavy carp fly in anticipation of carp flats fishing and found this fly difficult to keep away from self hooking, using a 8 weight TFO single handed rod.

The fly was weighted with two # 3 buckshots, 50 grains alone (to get the bushy fly down to the bottom quick and stay down during stripping). This made the fly clunky to cast, and the kick and extra weight tended to bring the fly close to self hooking. Any winds would make it worse.

I changed over to Skagitting 550 grain and 12' leader by adding the TFO conversion to this same rod. Wow, what a much safer and more pleasant cast. I used the 1/2 out N Go, the 1/2 being half the water column distance fly needed to get to surface.

Because carp flats fishing require stealth, sinktips are much less preferred than a weighted fly on a long leader.

Wow, my short testing (before losing the fly) served up showed some very reasonable distances with a lot safer and easier casting using such flies.

So, it looks I can start with a SH for intermediate weighted flies, and add the conversion when going to faster sinking flies/ windy conditions/ deeper fishing conditions.

Wondering if anyone else have considered this On-the-water conversion to open up fishing possibilities.

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
Only testing fly

Not yet Jamey, just getting ready with testing prototype fly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Montana Carp

I grew up on the Missouri just outside of Great Falls, Montana and there is a large flat/back eddy about the size of a football field right out my back door. I finally got bored and started fishing for the carp and I realized how much I have been missing out on.......picky, hot fish. I just got into spey fishing and can't wait to chuck crayfish patterns at these awsome fish in about month or so. Just curious I have had better luck with a 15' sink tip and a short leader.....if a fly is weighted too much, the splash from when the fly hits the water is spooking the fish. Just a thought.

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
Splash factor

You could have point there about the splash. I'll make sure to try both ways.

My take is the lighter the fly, the softer the landing, the earlier the cast, the greater the carp would have time to change it's course. A light fly (and thus sink tip) would be great esp when the carp are staging in a pod. But even then, I would just lighten my fly and still use a clear leader as over enthusiasm sometimes pushes me to cast right in the middle of the pod.

But for cruising/ opportunistic carp, I find the faster sink flies gives you a better chance for interception as it allows closer-in-time cast, thus reducing the window for the carp to change direction.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jeez that's old.

Diggin' in the attic, eh Sushi? That search tool digs up some cool info.

I fish a similar rig still but use mono running line with the floating heads on the troutspey sized rods. The sight fishing for carp is still relatively close, but long blind casts often find bass, pike, sheepshead, catfish, etc.

It sounds like you're fishing much heavier flies than I do...no turnover issues here. I like a softer water entry, and have taken many fish by dropping the fly within their sight and having them go to it. I use pretty light gear as well.

Carl

·
sushiyummy & C&R
1,041 Posts
Dusting off

Yup Carl, I thought no point in a new thread and simply keep continuity.

So, you don't use tips but a floating head (Skagit?) and Mono running line.

What leader length do you use and how heavy do you weigh your flies?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've been thinking about this ever since I moved to VA. Most of my work would be on Smallie streams, but I'm determined to find some flat fishing for carp nearby--there's gotta be some.

I've been thinking about getting anything from a 10'6" switch on up to an 11'6" or 12' spey. I'm leaning more towards the switch at this point after casting a beulah--real impressed with the spey capabilities.

Does anyone have smallie or other warm water fishing experience with this type of setup. What weight?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts