Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I have not cast every Spey rod that there is, I have cast a considerable number from quite a few manufacturers. I still have found that so far there aren't any "bad" rods, it is just a matter of finding the right line for the rod. Example, Trout Speys.

Last year a couple of Trout Speys were introduced at the Kauffmann's Clave on the Sky. I tried them (with the commercial lines that they were matched with), and thought, "nice, would be fun to fish for trout with, as long as the wind wasn't blowing". Then, prior to the Sandy Clave I played around with a couple of them at one of Aaron's Mini Claves, and also at Wet Fly's casting pond. I thought, "nice toys, would be fun to have one". I then did my Skagit Demo at the Sandy Clave using a Sage 7136 (a rod reputed by many as not capable of handling wind or sinktips), with a sinktip AND a weighted fly to illustrate a point - Skagit casting develops more line speed than most other Spey casting styles. That's when the light went on, "duh, why not build a Skagit line for a Trout Spey just to see what the capabilities are?". Well, I did, and I am blown away at the speed and power that those little rods can develop. My original impression (using commercial lines), of "as long as the wind isn't blowing", was completely wrong! Those little buggers ROCK! They will definitely fish through at least a 15 m.p.h. breeze, out to around 70'... and this is with a line that has not yet been truly "fine tuned".

By the way, the rods that I have been "playing" with are the Sage 5120, and CND 12' 2" 5/6/7 Speytracker, courtesy of Aaron at River Run. The 5120 is a laser gun, the Speytracker a more relaxed and forgiving rod. Both should be awesome for swinging wets/streamers for trout. I am hoping to experience actual trouting on them this coming week.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Lines

Hey Addict, I am curious as to what you came up with for lines. I have been planning on purchasing one of these for larger trout river applications such as the big horn etc. I am also very interesteed in using one of these here in the MW for smallies in the larger rivers that I like to fish. While I don't have a great deal of experience in building my own line per say. I have been taking mfg lines and cutting them and or cutting and splicing different ones together to come up with what I am looking for. One thing that I have been playing with on these lighter rods is using a standard RIO clouser line. it would seem that if you could get one in the right weight category for the rod you are using. It would make a great Skagit style line. I am waiting to get one of those speytrackers from Juro so that I can try and line one up correctly and see what she can do? I think that the 5/6/7 that you have been playing with would make for a great "trout" spey even though I will primarily use it for smallies. Swinging streamers and wets is the primary focus of what I like to do for smallies around here. I think that these rods would be perfect for just such an application?

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
lines lines lines

RA

You sold me on Bob 5/6/7 11’7” I’ve ordered one. Hardy line works great on it, but I’m going to play with some of my lines (and yours) on it. Have to get a Skagit line on it.

Interesting what you have done with those two rods! (5120/Speytracker)
But everything you do with a Spey rod is interesting!

:smokin:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i'm using,,or use,a nine wt wf line cut/spliced to a twenty ft. section of DT on my old Scotty,,works great,,to about seventy ft,with a couple weighted patterns it still throws it 70 ft!,it's a strange deal,the line IS very light,,,nothing like `spey' WF lines i've bought,,does wulff make a real light `spey'line:confused:thought i'd add;i can utilize 2 pound tippet with the rod,something the heavier lines seem to dislike!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Fever,

I am currently throwing 488 grains at 36' in length. This line is a bit on the heavy side (will feel heavy on a calm day, will reduce extreme distance casting capability), but the slight overload provides for more "punch" during conditions of wind, and also loads better at "close" distances for better accuracy and precision inside of 65', which is where I plan on casting the most with this rod. I am of course, still "playing", and will probably shave another 15 grains off just to see what it acts like. The current weight of 488 develops so much energy during the sweep of the cast that I am having a devil of a time conducting a DoubleSpey (line lifts prematurely from the surface of the river). However, by incorporating a Perry poke into the Double in order to gain more anchor, or by using a straight Perry Poke, this line will snap the running line tight at the end of a 65' cast, and even jerk a bit of line off of the reel. Cool!

The Speytracker could definitely use a little less weight, I'm guessing around 20 grains lighter.

Bear in mind that the quoted grains are for a line that is built for Skagit style casting where one purposely seeks to establish as much anchor as possible. This weight (488) would in all likelihood be too heavy for "touch and go" types of Speycasts (single Spey, snake roll).

Brian,
Too many rods that one could become quite fond of with the right line. There's not enough time or money (for me anyways) to be able to fish them all!

Hammer,
Some of the "little doubles" react quite well with the 40' SINGLEHANDED Triangle Tapers. The Sage 7136 throws lazers when using the 8/9 Triangle Taper (old designation). It's just a matter of proper grain-age!

·
Registered
194 Posts
RA

You aren't going to have to work hard at all to convince me that the Skagit style is applicable to trout speys. Now, how can I talk you into building a line for my Meiser 11' 4" 5/6? You can have full use of it for a few weeks if you want :) Name your price.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Line...

DLoop,

The best thing to do is to first try my Skagit head on it, and then go from there. I will be gone for the next several days, but when I return perhaps we can arrange to meet somewhere to check it out. Whereabouts do you live?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks RA, I sent you a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts