Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

God it is hot down here in the South, 93 degrees out my window right now and moist enough to swim in. Nonetheless, our bottom release dams spill out cold water and provide enough refrigeration to be bearable. All things told, I'd rather be knee deep in cold water right now than anywhere else. My wife and I went fishing yesterday, me swining the spey of course, and she outfished everyone on the river with a 25-fish evening.

I haven't posted in a while and I just wanted to crow a little bit about my great new reel: a Hardy Salmon Bougle 4" - overkill for trout? Possibly, but it is officially the loudest friggin reel I have ever seen and I *like* to draw stares when I'm reeling them in on my two-handed CND. Preaching to the heathens and all...

Finally, I just got a new Nikon D70, and I thought I'd share a couple pictures while I was at it (including one of my reel). Tragically, the little guy is typical of the fish in my water right now, since they stocked about 400,000 fingerlings back in the winter. It is almost impossible to get your fly through the micro-machines and down to where the larger holdovers still hang out:

And for you bird lovers:

(These images and others I take appear in my photoblog, which may be found at http://www.itinerantangler.com/photoblog.)

I envy you Northwesterners with your cold weather and your shiny big fish, but any fishing is better than no fishing.

Zach

·
Registered
445 Posts
...........Zach, great pictures. You guys must be freezing down there!! At 5:30 it was 104 in my shaded back yard!! I tried to ride the mountain bike this afternoon to celebrate Lance's victory, but I only lasted a couple of hours, way, way too hot out. Got some smallmouths two weeks ago, but just too hot now. It's hard to remember how it felt when we were steelheading in December and it was 17 degrees. I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
Bottom draw dams, man, if I could only have one more piece of fishing equipment for the rest of my life, it would be a bottom draw dam at Croton on the Muskegon here in MI. I'd even take that over that sweet Bougle you have there. Camera takes some darn nice pics.

·
Waiting for the grab...
340 Posts
Yeah, bottom draw good...

Praise Allah to the bottom draw. More cold water please.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My daughter just LOVED the picture of the bird. Those are some really nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them!

(And yes, the Bougle is overkill. Is that little fish the bait? :hihi: Just kidding. That is some nice looking water. I envy the beautiful places a lot of you guys get to fish. :( )

·
Banned
974 Posts
Pictures

Very nice pics Zach.

It is hot in the Chicago area as well, we hit 103 yesterday.

I will be fishing in Eastern Tennessee the third week-end in October. I never thought to take a trout spey .........

David

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
It has been hot in N California too. A week ago Thursday, a friend and I took my boat to a local lake in the late afternoon to escape the heat. It didn't work, the temp in the parking lot at 6 pm was 99.

My wife had bought me a new depth finder with GPS and a depth finder. When I turned it up for the first time as I pulled away from the dock, the temp showed 86.7 for the water. I just knew that had to be wrong, so I put my Side Finder in. It showed 87. Finally, I threw in an old swimming pool thermometer and it showed 88 degrees.

My new fishfinder finally found fish at 40 to 50'. I never even bothered to rig up my rod.

We are going to buy a couple of Rio's Outbound lines to go deep and see if we can get to where the fish lurk.

This past weekend it was 103 on our back deck which is covered and has trees on the west side to prevent the sun from hitting the deck. We had guests and had planned on eating outside. The guests arrived at about 6 pm and it was still over 100 outside.
So we talked and ate inside with our AC cranked up.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The photos are brilliant, vivid. They are inspiring me to study photography.

Must have been cool in the morning though... my tape lately has been so warm that it looks like a layer of paint over the ferrules.

Thanks for posting them.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Zach,

Great pics. I use a Nikon 35mm system and was thinking of getting a D100 or D70. What lense(s) are you using?

I did a small spey clinic on the S.F. of the Snake in Idaho last weekend and in the evening we fished a bit. I had a prototype Scott LS2 12' 5 wt. with me and a 40s era 3 1/4 perfect wide drum. Oh man was that fun. Some really big caddis around so we were swinging size 10 partridge and greens. The 12-14" cutts were fun but every know and again a larger brown would jump on and peel 30-40' of line off the reel on the take. Great fun on the trout spey.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
12' 5wt?

Oooh. 12' 5wt. My ears are perking up.

The D70 is an amazing camera and I would certainly choose it over the D100 unless the D100 was at a significant discount. Although the D70 is not as rugged, it is plenty rigid and I anticipate no problems carrying it in my usual way (ie hitched around to my back).

Lauren and I currently have four lenses: the 17-55mm DX G that comes with the D70, an older 50mm AF f/1.8 that I bought for taking slides, which makes a great 75mm portrait lens on the D70, and then the two low grade Nikkor kit lenses - the 28-80mm G and the 70-300mm G.

Luckily I am a good hand with Photoshop. Part of the reason the images look so vivid, Juro, is that I came to photography by way of graphic design and I in no way accept a camera's output as a final product. I Photoshop nearly everything, usually increasing contrast and saturation and deepening the blacks (indeed, I basically try to make them look like they were shot on Fuji Velvia). The bird picture was taken with the 70-300mm G, probably the worst lens to carry the Nikon name ever made, and it came out very gray and washed out. After some cropping and touching up, a bit of light to the bird's eye, etc, it is a nice picture.

Thanks guys.
Zach

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Yo Greg...

What line were you fishing on that little "trout spey" sweetie?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Hi Poppy,

2 lines. The 5/6 windcutter was great and fished that a fair amount. I also fished a custom windcutter shooting head with slick shooter running line. The custom WC is heavy and short and really fished nice in the riffs. The line worked perfectly from really short (15') and out to about 70'. Perfect for trout fishing. The 5/6 windcutter was a perfect match for the rod but it's comfort range was more like 50-90' so a bit long for the SF in high water.

Cheers,

·
Registered
212 Posts
Scott ARC 1196

Awhile back Zach I mailed you about the lining of the Scott ARC 1196. I've had the rod for many years, used it with the WC 5/6, but never felt that the line did the rod justice. Well, I found the line, thanks to Jerry Swanson at Kaufmann's. The Air Flo 40+ WF9F (32.5'/370gr; WC 5/6 48.5'/365gr) brings this rod alive in my hands. As my style of casting is evolving more toward shorter heads, stronger lower hand, and shorter stroke, this Air Flo set-up really works for me. Air Flo's Polyleaders (10'/38gr) work well if you need to go subsurface. As a back-up system, the WC 6/7/8 head(23'/245gr) with the Rio 8/9/10 5' Cheater(69gr) and Polyleaders(10'/38gr) work well (38'/352gr). By the way, I added three more inches to my 1196 creating a "1206". Sorry to deviate from the thread theme, but our unfinished thread earlier and the mention of the Scott LS2 12'/5wt seemed like a good opportunity for the above notes.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Trout Spey

Hey Clyde-

Right now all my ready money is made from freelancing writing and photography for the fishing magazines, and I have the next couple payments slated for photography equipment (namely a couple expensive lenses). As soon as all that's over, though, I am going to look to getting a top-end trout spey to supplement (not replace) my CND Expert. I plan to start with Scott and CND's top lineups.

I threw a modified version of Airflo's integrated head during a casting demonstration at the flyfishing show at Memphis (I was casting with Andrew Colley and John Wilson - both great casters). With a 9'6" 6 weight I was able to toss what I think is the same line you describe over 80' with a one handed switch and a little haul - a very fine rollcasting line. I wasn't clear if it was a floating line or not, and I wonder how it would behave on the doublehander. I have been tempted to line up my CND with my only shooting head setup - a 30' LC-13 head and Rio shooting line, but I know it would overload it and since I have already snapped this rod once, I am a little leery. Is it common to throw merely 30' heads with double handed rods? Doesn't this leave you with very little line to work with once you've laid down your anchor?

Thanks,
Zach

·
Registered
212 Posts
CND Expert 1306/7; etc.

Zach you mentioned plans to line your CND Expert 1306/6-7. I was about to sell this rod when I found lines that make this rod work for me. The WC 6/7/8 head (23'/245gr) + Rio 8/9/10 Cheater (5'/69gr) + AirFlo Polyleaders (10'/c. 40gr) + 5' leader = 43'/354gr. (This set up is essentially a Rio "Skagit"-like model with a 28' head/weighing 314gr. The lightest Skagit made by Rio currently is the 7/8 at 27'/450gr). This system casts effortlessly to 70' with my middle of the road ability. I have tried the Rio sink tips (6/7/8) and they to work well, but the extra 5' and an additional 60gr of added weight make these more difficult to cast. For dry fly work, the AF 40+ system mentioned for the Scott 1196 works well. I have to do more stripping, but isn't that fishing?
Is a 30'ish head suitable for a double handed rod you ask? For me, you bet! As I mentioned, I am moving more toward a shorter stroke, bottom hand dominant style and the shorter heads suit me fine. Goran Anderson makes the case for this style which he has championed most of his life(as noted in the recent San Francisco Fly Fishing video). For large rods and long casts the style requires leaders 15-20' or more to create, as you brought up, an adequate anchor. On casts to 70' with this rod--my comfort zone-- I try to keep a close look at the forming small D loop and start the forward stroke before I blow my anchor. From my address you will understand that a lot of what I do is on a pond with little actual fishing. But those are the cards I have to play with so I'm doing what I can to develop a style that is efficient and effective in putting the fly in play. Getting ready for the Kanektok(AK) in 10 days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts