Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Trout Spey Setup and I'm a little confused as to which tips/polyleaders I need to get. My understanding is that for Skagit heads I should be looking at light tips such as the Mow/iMow light tips or the 80/96 grain OPST tips. I also understand that these are going to be too heavy for a Scandi head so I'm going to have to get a few Polyleaders. On the Polyleader front should I stick to the 10 ft trout specific polyleaders or can I go with the 10ft salmon/steelhead polyleaders that have a stronger core? As a side note...I already had a set of 5ft Trout Polyleaders but unfortunately I think they are too short as I kept blowing my anchor when I tried them on the SA Spey Lite Scandi head I have. My rod is the Echo TR 4120 so it is 12 ft in length and i'm trying to get close to or within the 2.5/1 head/tip length to rod length ratio. Any tips (no pun intended) or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are the Airflo Salmon/Steelhead Polyleaders any good on a Scandi head? I see that their grain weights a very light for the floating up to the slow sink (26gr-30gr) and increase as you get to the heavier fast, extra fast polys ( up to 76gr). I'm assuming that given how light they are that they wouldn't work so well with a Skagit head with the exception of the fast and extra fast ones.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up a few 10 ft SA Sonar Polyleaders that were on sale for $11 each, so they should fit the bill for my Scandi head. They may be ok for my Skagit head as well and I will see how they do but I may pick up something a little heavier for that head. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts